Orange is the New Black beats The Big Bang Theory, Jim Parson's Sheldon Wins Yet Again
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 20, 2014 4:32 PM EST
Netflix original drama-comedy "Orange is the New Black" has won the best comedy series award at the Critics' Choice Television Awards 2014 on Thursday night. It beat CBS' hugely popular comedy series "The Big Bang Theory." It is the first award for the critically acclaimed "Orange in the New Black," which is based on Piper Kerman's memoir of the same name. Jenji Kohan is the creator of the Netflix show.
REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni (UNITED
Cast member Uzo Aduba speaks, as co-stars (from L-R) Natasha Lyonne, Laverne Cox, Danielle Brooks and Laura Prepon applaud, as they accept the award for Best Comedy Series for "Orange Is the New Black" at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014.
The best comedy series award was not the only award for "Orange is the New Black" on Thursday night. Kate Mulgrew, who plays Galina "Red" Reznikov in the show, bagged the award for the best supporting actress in a comedy series. Mulgrew shared the award with Allison Janney of CBS' "Mom." And, Uzo Aduba, who plays Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren in "Orange is the New Black," won the best guest performer in a comedy series.
In an interview with Collider after getting the award, Aduba said, "I was very humbled by that, to say the least. And I was also super proud that the show was acknowledged, and Kate Mulgrew and Laverne Cox, as well. I just feel very proud of my castmates and the show. I don't have any other words, other than humble and grateful."
"The Big Bang Theory" team did not return empty handed, as Jim Parson, who portrays Sheldon in the show, bagged the award for the best actor in a comedy series. This is not the first time that the Emmy award winning actor has won the Critics' Choice Award for his portrayal of quirky Sheldon. Previously, the actor has won the award in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Netflix released all the episodes of "Orange is the New Black" Season 2 on June 06, 2014. The Season 3 of the show is currently in production.
"The Big Bang Theory" wrapped-up Season 7 in May, 2014. CBS has renewed its high viewership rating show for three more seasons. The Season 8 is expected to premiere sometime in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6