Critics’ Choice T.V Awards 2014: Fargo Beats American Horror Story, Malvo Beats Sherlock
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 20, 2014 2:40 PM EST
The FX Network's new anthology series beat FX's three year old anthology series at the Critics' Choice Television Awards 2014. "Fargo" took home the best mini-series award, beating horror anthology series "American Horror Story."
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch arrives for a dinner to celebrate the work of The Royal Marsden hosted by Britain Prince William at Windsor Castle, in Windsor, May 13, 2014.
"Bonnie & Clyde" (A&E/History/Lifetime), "Dancing on the Edge" (Starz), "The Hollow Crown" (PBS) were the other shows nominated in the best mini-series category.
In addition to winning the best mini-series award, the dark-comedy also scored in the best actor in a movie or mini-series category. Billy Bob Thornton won the award for his portrayal of Lorne Malvo in the show. He beat his co-actor Martin Freeman, who played Lester Nygaard, and Benedict Cumberbatch, who was nominated for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in "Sherlock: His Last Vow." And, And, Allison Tolman, who played police officer Molly Solverson, won the best supporting actress in a movie or mini-series award.
The team of "American Horror Story" also had something to cheer about, as Jessica Lange won the best actress in a movie or mini-series. She bagged the award for portraying the evil Supreme, Fiona Goode," in "American Horror Story-Coven."
"Fargo," which premiered on April 15, 2014, ended this week on a bloody note. Created and written by Noah Hawley, the show is inspired by the cult Coen brothers' movie of the same name, which was released in 1996.
The show has received both critical acclaim and good ratings. FX is yet to announce that it has renewed the show for Season 2. According to media reports, the show is likely to return for Season 2, with a new cast. As it is an anthology series, the new season will have a new story featuring new characters.
"American Horror Story," created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, will be returning later this year, with Season 4. The show premiered on October 5, 2011. The Season 3 was subtitled "Coven," while the upcoming new season is subtitled "Freak Show." It will feature one of the last freak shows in the U.S. and Lange's character, a German ex-pat, will be seen running it. For Lange, it will be her final appearance in "American Horror Story." She has appeared in all the three seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China