2 Dozen Human Trafficking Charges, Prostitution Slapped Against Canadian Woman
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 20, 2014 1:50 PM EST
At least two dozen human trafficking charges, including prostitution for allegedly pimping underage girls, were slapped against a 23-year old Halifax woman.
Tashlynn Marie Shaw appeared in Halifax provincial court on Thursday after two young girls pointed to her as the person "who had coerced (them) to continue working in the sex trade." The girls were under 16 years old.
A policeman locks up the cell of inmates at the jail where crew members of Florida-based shipwreck salvage company Aqua Quest International have been detained, in Puerto Lempira, on the Mosquito coast of northeastern Honduras June 8, 2014. The crew of the Tarpon Springs-based shipwreck salvage company has been held for a month in the Honduras jail after authorities accused them of gun smuggling, a company spokesman said on Thursday. Stephen Mayne of Aqua Quest International, whose two brothers are among the six men being held, said the company had a contract with a local municipality to do salvage work. Mayne said the company told port officials in advance they would be carrying guns for protection against pirates. Colonel Antonio Sanchez, a spokesman for the Honduran armed forces, said the crew was arrested because they did not have permits to possess guns in the country. REUTERS/Jorge Cabrera (HONDURAS - Tags: POLITICS CRIME LAW MARITIME)
"Our investigator in the vice unit received some information about a woman exercising control and coercing young girls into prostitution," CBC News quoted Halifax Regional Police Const. Pierre Bourdages. "One of these victims was seriously assaulted on two different occasions with a weapon."
Officers arrested Shaw at home on Wednesday.
The specific charges hurled against Shaw include:
- Trafficking a person under the age of 18, two counts.
- Material benefit, two counts.
- Invitation to sexual touching, two counts.
- Exercising control, direction or influence over the movements of a person to aid in prostitution, two counts.
- Living off the avails of prostitution of a person under the age of 18, two counts.
- Counselling a person under the age of 18 to engage in prostitution, two counts.
- Using intimidation or coercion in relation to someone under the age of 18 to engage in prostitution, two counts.
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, two counts.
- Assault with a weapon, two counts.
- Luring of a child under the age of 18.
- Assault causing bodily harm.
- Forcible confinement.
"In this specific investigation, we do believe there are more young ladies that have been taken control of by this individual, by Ms. Shaw," Bourdages said. "We do encourage anyone with information about any other victims - or any other victims themselves - to call police."
Police ask anyone with information about the case to call 490-5016 with any tips, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged