Donald Sterling Made Hostile Messages to Wife
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 20, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Shelly Sterling sought protection from the court after receiving hostile messages from her estranged husband, Donald Sterling. The emergency motion was denied Thursday by Judge Michael Levanas without prejudice stating that the voice mails did not rise to "a level of great and irreparable injury."
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008.
He also reminded both sides to "tone down the pre-trial communication."
Yahoo! Sports reports that the lawyer for Shelly Sterling introduced voice recordings to the court which contained messages which allegedly threatened the medical licenses, jobs, and livelihoods of two doctors who declared him mentally incompetent last month. The said medical findings gave Shelly Sterling the authority to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to Steven Ballmer's group for two billion dollars without needing the consent from his husband.
The voice mail of Donald Sterling to Dr. Meril Sue Platzer on June 9 reveals that the banned former owner called her estranged wife "a horrible woman," and "nothing but a fraud and a liar and a cheat." He told the doctor that he will make sure that she will lose her license and that he will seek a large sum of money for damages.
In a similarly toned voice mail to Dr. James Edward Spar on the same date, Sterling says "I'll show you what I think of you when I see you in court." In a profanity-laced outburst, he assured the doctor that he will get him fired from his work at UCLA.
"I'm gonna get you fired from UCLA because you're nothing but a tramp. How dare you let someone use you that way?" Sterling said. "You know, you rely on doctors. You think that they'll be above it all. But obviously you're not. You'll sell yourself for nothing. How dare you? How dare you give my records to a lawyer for the purposes of using it against me?"
Apart from the doctors who he allegedly misdiagnosed him, Sterling also called and threatened Shelly Sterling's representation, Pierce O'Donnell in a call on June 9. According to the lawyer's statement, Sterling told him that he was going to take him out and sue everybody.
In the same call with Sterling, the lawyer queried why the former owner would not consent to a sale of the team when in June 4th it was heavily reported that he, through his lawyers, have given the go-ahead to sell the team. O'Donnell recounted that Sterling candidly responded, "Can't a guy change his mind?"
Donald Sterling's lawyer defended his client by stating that, "He's got a short fuse," but "that doesn't mean you're incapacitated or nuts."
Blecher said Sterling was simply angry over the situation and did not mean to threaten or intimidate anyone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone