Donald Sterling Made Hostile Messages to Wife
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 20, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Shelly Sterling sought protection from the court after receiving hostile messages from her estranged husband, Donald Sterling. The emergency motion was denied Thursday by Judge Michael Levanas without prejudice stating that the voice mails did not rise to "a level of great and irreparable injury."
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008.
He also reminded both sides to "tone down the pre-trial communication."
Yahoo! Sports reports that the lawyer for Shelly Sterling introduced voice recordings to the court which contained messages which allegedly threatened the medical licenses, jobs, and livelihoods of two doctors who declared him mentally incompetent last month. The said medical findings gave Shelly Sterling the authority to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to Steven Ballmer's group for two billion dollars without needing the consent from his husband.
The voice mail of Donald Sterling to Dr. Meril Sue Platzer on June 9 reveals that the banned former owner called her estranged wife "a horrible woman," and "nothing but a fraud and a liar and a cheat." He told the doctor that he will make sure that she will lose her license and that he will seek a large sum of money for damages.
In a similarly toned voice mail to Dr. James Edward Spar on the same date, Sterling says "I'll show you what I think of you when I see you in court." In a profanity-laced outburst, he assured the doctor that he will get him fired from his work at UCLA.
"I'm gonna get you fired from UCLA because you're nothing but a tramp. How dare you let someone use you that way?" Sterling said. "You know, you rely on doctors. You think that they'll be above it all. But obviously you're not. You'll sell yourself for nothing. How dare you? How dare you give my records to a lawyer for the purposes of using it against me?"
Apart from the doctors who he allegedly misdiagnosed him, Sterling also called and threatened Shelly Sterling's representation, Pierce O'Donnell in a call on June 9. According to the lawyer's statement, Sterling told him that he was going to take him out and sue everybody.
In the same call with Sterling, the lawyer queried why the former owner would not consent to a sale of the team when in June 4th it was heavily reported that he, through his lawyers, have given the go-ahead to sell the team. O'Donnell recounted that Sterling candidly responded, "Can't a guy change his mind?"
Donald Sterling's lawyer defended his client by stating that, "He's got a short fuse," but "that doesn't mean you're incapacitated or nuts."
Blecher said Sterling was simply angry over the situation and did not mean to threaten or intimidate anyone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected