Donald Sterling Made Hostile Messages to Wife
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 20, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Shelly Sterling sought protection from the court after receiving hostile messages from her estranged husband, Donald Sterling. The emergency motion was denied Thursday by Judge Michael Levanas without prejudice stating that the voice mails did not rise to "a level of great and irreparable injury."
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008.
He also reminded both sides to "tone down the pre-trial communication."
Yahoo! Sports reports that the lawyer for Shelly Sterling introduced voice recordings to the court which contained messages which allegedly threatened the medical licenses, jobs, and livelihoods of two doctors who declared him mentally incompetent last month. The said medical findings gave Shelly Sterling the authority to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to Steven Ballmer's group for two billion dollars without needing the consent from his husband.
The voice mail of Donald Sterling to Dr. Meril Sue Platzer on June 9 reveals that the banned former owner called her estranged wife "a horrible woman," and "nothing but a fraud and a liar and a cheat." He told the doctor that he will make sure that she will lose her license and that he will seek a large sum of money for damages.
In a similarly toned voice mail to Dr. James Edward Spar on the same date, Sterling says "I'll show you what I think of you when I see you in court." In a profanity-laced outburst, he assured the doctor that he will get him fired from his work at UCLA.
"I'm gonna get you fired from UCLA because you're nothing but a tramp. How dare you let someone use you that way?" Sterling said. "You know, you rely on doctors. You think that they'll be above it all. But obviously you're not. You'll sell yourself for nothing. How dare you? How dare you give my records to a lawyer for the purposes of using it against me?"
Apart from the doctors who he allegedly misdiagnosed him, Sterling also called and threatened Shelly Sterling's representation, Pierce O'Donnell in a call on June 9. According to the lawyer's statement, Sterling told him that he was going to take him out and sue everybody.
In the same call with Sterling, the lawyer queried why the former owner would not consent to a sale of the team when in June 4th it was heavily reported that he, through his lawyers, have given the go-ahead to sell the team. O'Donnell recounted that Sterling candidly responded, "Can't a guy change his mind?"
Donald Sterling's lawyer defended his client by stating that, "He's got a short fuse," but "that doesn't mean you're incapacitated or nuts."
Blecher said Sterling was simply angry over the situation and did not mean to threaten or intimidate anyone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales