PS4 Preorders and Preloading Available with a List as the Console Becomes One of Sony’s Leads in Profit
By Gel Galang | June 20, 2014 12:37 PM EST
The pre-order and pre-load feature in the PS4 has been highly touted during the reveal, introduction and hype given to the console. Half a year after its official unveiling and release date, the PS4 now has an official list of games that will take advantage of the feature.
A PlayStation 4 controller is displayed at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
Announced at the PlayStation Blog, the E3 2014 PS4 games announced will get to enjoy the pre-order and pre-load feature. This particular new command for the PS4 basically allows gamers to automatically pre-load games on the PS4. This already downloads games that you've preordered, so that when the release date hits, you're ready to hit play and enjoy the game.
"We all know that some of the biggest games can take a while to download, and with the pre-load functionality, you'll be able to download and install those huge files up to several days in advance," said Chieh Chen, digital distribution manager for Sony Network Entertainment at the PlayStation Blog.
So long as your PS4 is on standby mode, you can pre-load any preordered game automatically, even if you forget that you've preordered them. The first game that will enjoy the feature is "Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark," coming in June 24 to the PS4. So far, any titles that are up for preorder on the PS Store on or after May 20, 2014 will already take advantage of the pre-order and pre-load function. This function is also available for PS3 preorders.
The biggest tittles and add-ons announced during the E3 2014 will also enjoy the feature, and these games are the following:
- Battlefield Hardline and the Deluxe Edition
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Dragon Age: Inquisition and the Deluxe Edition
- Far Cry 4
- inFamous First Light
- Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- The Order:1886
- Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The PS4: Sony's Bright Spot Amid Restructuring and Loss?
Restructuring in Sony has become the bulk of headlines, with talk about restructuring being Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai's solution to pulling the company back on its feet.
However, it seems that Sony is not doing as well as it had hoped, a fact revealed by Hirai during Sony's annual meeting. Bloomberg reports that Hirai has not only apologized about another loss by the company, but also promised that the restructuring is one of the steps towards facing the challenges that the company is currently dealing with.
"We will bear responsibility to complete restructuring in fiscal 2014, with a strong sense of crisis and without further delay," said Hirai at the meeting as quoted by Bloomberg.
However, there is one shining spot for the company, and that lies in its videogaming arm. The PS4 still stands strong compared to its competitor, Microsoft's Xbox One, with a fifth year in a row lead against the console. Not only this, but Sony has also followed Microsoft's footsteps into China, positioning the PS4 in its market after the ban on video games was lifted in the country.
The PS4's lead is interesting, considering the price drop that the Xbox One has previously experienced in the U.K. as well as the more recent unbundling of the Kinect with the Xbox One. So far, the console wars are now focused on gaming, with the E3 being the grounds for announcing a number of exclusives and multi-platform games expected to hit the two next-gen consoles.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS