PS4 Preorders and Preloading Available with a List as the Console Becomes One of Sony’s Leads in Profit
By Gel Galang | June 20, 2014 12:37 PM EST
The pre-order and pre-load feature in the PS4 has been highly touted during the reveal, introduction and hype given to the console. Half a year after its official unveiling and release date, the PS4 now has an official list of games that will take advantage of the feature.
A PlayStation 4 controller is displayed at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
Announced at the PlayStation Blog, the E3 2014 PS4 games announced will get to enjoy the pre-order and pre-load feature. This particular new command for the PS4 basically allows gamers to automatically pre-load games on the PS4. This already downloads games that you've preordered, so that when the release date hits, you're ready to hit play and enjoy the game.
"We all know that some of the biggest games can take a while to download, and with the pre-load functionality, you'll be able to download and install those huge files up to several days in advance," said Chieh Chen, digital distribution manager for Sony Network Entertainment at the PlayStation Blog.
So long as your PS4 is on standby mode, you can pre-load any preordered game automatically, even if you forget that you've preordered them. The first game that will enjoy the feature is "Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark," coming in June 24 to the PS4. So far, any titles that are up for preorder on the PS Store on or after May 20, 2014 will already take advantage of the pre-order and pre-load function. This function is also available for PS3 preorders.
The biggest tittles and add-ons announced during the E3 2014 will also enjoy the feature, and these games are the following:
- Battlefield Hardline and the Deluxe Edition
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Dragon Age: Inquisition and the Deluxe Edition
- Far Cry 4
- inFamous First Light
- Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- The Order:1886
- Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The PS4: Sony's Bright Spot Amid Restructuring and Loss?
Restructuring in Sony has become the bulk of headlines, with talk about restructuring being Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai's solution to pulling the company back on its feet.
However, it seems that Sony is not doing as well as it had hoped, a fact revealed by Hirai during Sony's annual meeting. Bloomberg reports that Hirai has not only apologized about another loss by the company, but also promised that the restructuring is one of the steps towards facing the challenges that the company is currently dealing with.
"We will bear responsibility to complete restructuring in fiscal 2014, with a strong sense of crisis and without further delay," said Hirai at the meeting as quoted by Bloomberg.
However, there is one shining spot for the company, and that lies in its videogaming arm. The PS4 still stands strong compared to its competitor, Microsoft's Xbox One, with a fifth year in a row lead against the console. Not only this, but Sony has also followed Microsoft's footsteps into China, positioning the PS4 in its market after the ban on video games was lifted in the country.
The PS4's lead is interesting, considering the price drop that the Xbox One has previously experienced in the U.K. as well as the more recent unbundling of the Kinect with the Xbox One. So far, the console wars are now focused on gaming, with the E3 being the grounds for announcing a number of exclusives and multi-platform games expected to hit the two next-gen consoles.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact Gets Certified For 23.0.1.A.1.43, Xperia Z3 Dual For 23.0.F.1.82
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Hallow's End And The Latest Resolved Issues Regarding The 'WoW' User Interface, Classes, Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Gets A New Trailer And Hidden Demo Missions
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]