NBA Trade News: Klay Thompson Made Available in Kevin Love Sweepstakes
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 20, 2014 12:15 PM EST
The trade talks are heating up and there is a lot of Love going around in the air.
The Golden State Warriors have made sweet shooting forward Klay Thompson available in trade discussion with the Minnesota Timberwolves which is currently shopping disgruntled All-Star forward Kevin Love.
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
Chris Broussard of ESPN reports that the framework of the deal is that the Warriors will have to send out David Lee, and Klay Thompson in exchange for Kevin Love, Kevin Martin and the 13th pick. The Warriors' odds of being the frontrunner in the Love sweepstakes just got better with the inclusion of one of the so-called Splash brothers.
Thompson who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent in 2015 is expected to welcome the transfer with the possibility of being able to increase his chances of getting a maximum contract. David Lee's two-year $30 million dollar salary has to be swallowed by the cap space of Minnesota to make salaries match.
This development does not however cement any deal in place for the freeing of Love.
"No deal is close," a league source involved in the trade talks told Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. "[Pieces] change all the time."
The Warriors are committed in behemoth salaries to Andrew Bogut, Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry who are slated to make $10.6 million or more next season. This would signal that a maximum salary for Thompson would be hard to squeeze from the Warriors. The contracts of Iguodala, Curry and Bogut do not expire until after the 2016-17 season.
For the Warriors, assurances must be in place that Kevin Love will commit to the team long term which is a possibility given the rebounding behemoth has named earlier the Warriors as his top destinations. With the possible acquisition, the Warriors are expected to intensify competition in the already deep Western Conference and improve on their early exits in the previous two playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’