Michael Schumacher Talks About Coma in an Old Video
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 20, 2014 12:12 PM EST
An old video of Michael Schumacher talking about coma is trending in the news and online.
In the video filmed back in 1994, Schumacher talked about Ayrton Senna's Imola crash.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
Senna, who lapsed into a coma before he eventually succumbed to his injuries which include fatal skull fractures and brain trauma, was only 34 at the time of his death.
"I've heard about coma, you don't know coma can be many things, it can just be something which is going to be okay the next day or very bad," said Schumacher.
It was bizarre to see Schumacher talking about coma. He had been in almost the same situations as Senna's after having been put in a medically-induced coma following his skiing crash in December. Unlike Senna who only spent a few days in coma, Schumacher spent more than five months in a coma and on a ventilator.
On June 16, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm announced that he was no longer in a coma. He has been moved to medical facility in Lausanne, Switzerland to undergo a long period of rehabilitation according to reports. It has been stated that Schumacher is still being fed with nutrients and liquid though an intravenous (IV) line. Schumacher is now able to breathe on his own for a period of time.
As the world awaits progress on Schumacher's rehabilitation and health condition, medical experts are still doubtful that he will be able to make a complete recovery. Apparently, Schumacher's fight for life is not over yet. Neurology specialist Erich Riederer shared an unpleasant prognosis on Schumacher's future and said that the retired German racer is likely to become invalid for life.
Former Formula One (F1) doctor Gary Hartstein also wasn't thrilled to hear the news saying that Schumacher was no longer in coma.
"We're told what we already want to know, and pretty much told to not expect further updates."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown