Michael Schumacher Talks About Coma in an Old Video
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 20, 2014 12:12 PM EST
An old video of Michael Schumacher talking about coma is trending in the news and online.
In the video filmed back in 1994, Schumacher talked about Ayrton Senna's Imola crash.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
Senna, who lapsed into a coma before he eventually succumbed to his injuries which include fatal skull fractures and brain trauma, was only 34 at the time of his death.
"I've heard about coma, you don't know coma can be many things, it can just be something which is going to be okay the next day or very bad," said Schumacher.
It was bizarre to see Schumacher talking about coma. He had been in almost the same situations as Senna's after having been put in a medically-induced coma following his skiing crash in December. Unlike Senna who only spent a few days in coma, Schumacher spent more than five months in a coma and on a ventilator.
On June 16, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm announced that he was no longer in a coma. He has been moved to medical facility in Lausanne, Switzerland to undergo a long period of rehabilitation according to reports. It has been stated that Schumacher is still being fed with nutrients and liquid though an intravenous (IV) line. Schumacher is now able to breathe on his own for a period of time.
As the world awaits progress on Schumacher's rehabilitation and health condition, medical experts are still doubtful that he will be able to make a complete recovery. Apparently, Schumacher's fight for life is not over yet. Neurology specialist Erich Riederer shared an unpleasant prognosis on Schumacher's future and said that the retired German racer is likely to become invalid for life.
Former Formula One (F1) doctor Gary Hartstein also wasn't thrilled to hear the news saying that Schumacher was no longer in coma.
"We're told what we already want to know, and pretty much told to not expect further updates."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]