Michael Schumacher Talks About Coma in an Old Video
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 20, 2014 12:12 PM EST
An old video of Michael Schumacher talking about coma is trending in the news and online.
In the video filmed back in 1994, Schumacher talked about Ayrton Senna's Imola crash.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
Senna, who lapsed into a coma before he eventually succumbed to his injuries which include fatal skull fractures and brain trauma, was only 34 at the time of his death.
"I've heard about coma, you don't know coma can be many things, it can just be something which is going to be okay the next day or very bad," said Schumacher.
It was bizarre to see Schumacher talking about coma. He had been in almost the same situations as Senna's after having been put in a medically-induced coma following his skiing crash in December. Unlike Senna who only spent a few days in coma, Schumacher spent more than five months in a coma and on a ventilator.
On June 16, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm announced that he was no longer in a coma. He has been moved to medical facility in Lausanne, Switzerland to undergo a long period of rehabilitation according to reports. It has been stated that Schumacher is still being fed with nutrients and liquid though an intravenous (IV) line. Schumacher is now able to breathe on his own for a period of time.
As the world awaits progress on Schumacher's rehabilitation and health condition, medical experts are still doubtful that he will be able to make a complete recovery. Apparently, Schumacher's fight for life is not over yet. Neurology specialist Erich Riederer shared an unpleasant prognosis on Schumacher's future and said that the retired German racer is likely to become invalid for life.
Former Formula One (F1) doctor Gary Hartstein also wasn't thrilled to hear the news saying that Schumacher was no longer in coma.
"We're told what we already want to know, and pretty much told to not expect further updates."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?