NBA Trade News: Denver Nuggets Join Love Sweepstakes
By James Patrick Quizon | June 20, 2014 12:03 PM EST
The Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors and Chicago Bulls are all reportedly chasing Kevin Love. Another team out west, the Denver Nuggets want to be in the mix and are willing to trade away Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler to net the Minnesota Timberwolves franchise player.
NBA: Los Angeles Clippers at Denver Nuggets
Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop), a beat writer for the Boston Herald covering the Boston Celtics, tweeted the details on the new player in the Love sweepstakes:
Sources: in addition to Wilson Chandler and Kenneth Faried, Denver offering Minnesota a player they would acquire (Arron Afflalo) for Love.
— Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop) June 19, 2014
The chase for Love is heating-up as the 2014 NBA Draft nears. The annual rookie selection is set on June 26 and teams like the Warriors have apparently upped their offer for the Minnesota big man. Golden State’s latest proposal now include shooter Klay Thompson and David Lee and they are willing to take back the long contract of Kevin Martin and J.J. Barea from the Wolves. Boston’s initial offer centered on young players like Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk plus multiple future first round picks.
This is only going to get weirder, friends... Several sources saying more teams will bid for Love and offers will be altered. — Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop) June 19, 2014
Denver’s offer is interesting to say the least but Chandler ($6.34M) and Faried’s ($1.44M) combined salary only equals to around $7.1M owing to the latter’s rookie deal.
The Nuggets would have to include trade fillers like Darrell Arthur ($3.23M) and Timofey Mozgov ($4.40M) for the deal to work under the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) trade rules.
Giving up a lot of players will also mean that Denver has to gut out their roster to acquire a big-salaried player like Love.
Ty Lawson, Danilo Gallinari and JaValee McGee have $10+M contracts and can be included in the deal but the Wolves already have a starting point guard in Ricky Rubio and center in Nikola Pekovic. Gallinari’s injury history may scare off the Wolves.
The Warriors have upped the ante; the Bulls and Celtics are waiting in the wings; and now the Nuggets are joining the chase.
Which team will win the Love sweepstakes?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Cleveland Cavaliers Confident Ray Allen Will Join LeBron James
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region