NBA Trade News: Denver Nuggets Join Love Sweepstakes
By James Patrick Quizon | June 20, 2014 12:03 PM EST
The Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors and Chicago Bulls are all reportedly chasing Kevin Love. Another team out west, the Denver Nuggets want to be in the mix and are willing to trade away Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler to net the Minnesota Timberwolves franchise player.
NBA: Los Angeles Clippers at Denver Nuggets
Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop), a beat writer for the Boston Herald covering the Boston Celtics, tweeted the details on the new player in the Love sweepstakes:
Sources: in addition to Wilson Chandler and Kenneth Faried, Denver offering Minnesota a player they would acquire (Arron Afflalo) for Love.
— Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop) June 19, 2014
The chase for Love is heating-up as the 2014 NBA Draft nears. The annual rookie selection is set on June 26 and teams like the Warriors have apparently upped their offer for the Minnesota big man. Golden State’s latest proposal now include shooter Klay Thompson and David Lee and they are willing to take back the long contract of Kevin Martin and J.J. Barea from the Wolves. Boston’s initial offer centered on young players like Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk plus multiple future first round picks.
This is only going to get weirder, friends... Several sources saying more teams will bid for Love and offers will be altered. — Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop) June 19, 2014
Denver’s offer is interesting to say the least but Chandler ($6.34M) and Faried’s ($1.44M) combined salary only equals to around $7.1M owing to the latter’s rookie deal.
The Nuggets would have to include trade fillers like Darrell Arthur ($3.23M) and Timofey Mozgov ($4.40M) for the deal to work under the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) trade rules.
Giving up a lot of players will also mean that Denver has to gut out their roster to acquire a big-salaried player like Love.
Ty Lawson, Danilo Gallinari and JaValee McGee have $10+M contracts and can be included in the deal but the Wolves already have a starting point guard in Ricky Rubio and center in Nikola Pekovic. Gallinari’s injury history may scare off the Wolves.
The Warriors have upped the ante; the Bulls and Celtics are waiting in the wings; and now the Nuggets are joining the chase.
Which team will win the Love sweepstakes?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans