Coldplay Surprises Sydney Fans with Kylie Minogue Duet; Releases ‘A Sky Full of Stars’ Music Video
By Anne Lu | June 20, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Coldplay enlisted the help of Australian pop royalty Kylie Minogue to surprise their Sydney fans. The British band, led by vocalist Chris Martin, had the diminutive pop star grace their stage at the Enmore Theatre in Newtown.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014. REUTERS/Yuya Shino
Wearing a blue and black minidress, Kylie joined the rockers in a surprise appearance on Thursday night. And instead of performing just one song, “The Voice Australia” coach delighted audiences when she stayed for two numbers.
First was a duet with Chris with “Where the Wild Roses Grow,” which she originally sang with Nick Cave in 1995.
After then Kylie and Martin, as well as the rest of the band – Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion – played her 2001 hit “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head.”
This isn’t the first time Coldplay has performed “Can’t Get You Out of My Head.” The band has been covering the track in their past shows.
Kylie quickly thanked the boys for having her at the show, tweeting, “Thank you for the magic @coldplay. Such an honour to be onstage with you tonight!!”
Coldplay then returned the compliment with, “Kylie just took the roof off the enmore: where the wild roses grow x can’t get you out of my head. Pop royalty in the house. PH”
Meanwhile, the band has just released the music video for their “A Sky Full of Stars,” which they shot on the streets of Sydney on Tuesday.
The day before the shooting, the rockers had asked for 250 fans to help them create the video by just appearing at the venue. A lot more than 250 had shown up, though, so the band had to beg the rest of their fans not to come to the venue anymore.
We're shooting the video for A Sky Full Of Stars on the streets of Sydney tomorrow. Does anyone want to be in it!? PH
— Coldplay (@coldplay) June 16, 2014
250 fans needed for #ASFOSvideo tomorrow (tues). Meet 11.30am at courthouse hotel, 202 Australia St, Newtown, Sydney. Bring a smile. PH — Coldplay (@coldplay) June 16, 2014
We've already got 250 fans at #ASFOSvideo shoot location so please DONT COME DOWN if you're not here already. You won't get it in. Sorry!PH
— Coldplay (@coldplay) June 17, 2014
Nonetheless, the result is still spectacular.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation