Coldplay Surprises Sydney Fans with Kylie Minogue Duet; Releases ‘A Sky Full of Stars’ Music Video
By Anne Lu | June 20, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Coldplay enlisted the help of Australian pop royalty Kylie Minogue to surprise their Sydney fans. The British band, led by vocalist Chris Martin, had the diminutive pop star grace their stage at the Enmore Theatre in Newtown.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014. REUTERS/Yuya Shino
Wearing a blue and black minidress, Kylie joined the rockers in a surprise appearance on Thursday night. And instead of performing just one song, “The Voice Australia” coach delighted audiences when she stayed for two numbers.
First was a duet with Chris with “Where the Wild Roses Grow,” which she originally sang with Nick Cave in 1995.
After then Kylie and Martin, as well as the rest of the band – Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion – played her 2001 hit “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head.”
This isn’t the first time Coldplay has performed “Can’t Get You Out of My Head.” The band has been covering the track in their past shows.
Kylie quickly thanked the boys for having her at the show, tweeting, “Thank you for the magic @coldplay. Such an honour to be onstage with you tonight!!”
Coldplay then returned the compliment with, “Kylie just took the roof off the enmore: where the wild roses grow x can’t get you out of my head. Pop royalty in the house. PH”
Meanwhile, the band has just released the music video for their “A Sky Full of Stars,” which they shot on the streets of Sydney on Tuesday.
The day before the shooting, the rockers had asked for 250 fans to help them create the video by just appearing at the venue. A lot more than 250 had shown up, though, so the band had to beg the rest of their fans not to come to the venue anymore.
We're shooting the video for A Sky Full Of Stars on the streets of Sydney tomorrow. Does anyone want to be in it!? PH
— Coldplay (@coldplay) June 16, 2014
250 fans needed for #ASFOSvideo tomorrow (tues). Meet 11.30am at courthouse hotel, 202 Australia St, Newtown, Sydney. Bring a smile. PH — Coldplay (@coldplay) June 16, 2014
We've already got 250 fans at #ASFOSvideo shoot location so please DONT COME DOWN if you're not here already. You won't get it in. Sorry!PH
— Coldplay (@coldplay) June 17, 2014
Nonetheless, the result is still spectacular.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage