Coldplay Surprises Sydney Fans with Kylie Minogue Duet; Releases ‘A Sky Full of Stars’ Music Video
By Anne Lu | June 20, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Coldplay enlisted the help of Australian pop royalty Kylie Minogue to surprise their Sydney fans. The British band, led by vocalist Chris Martin, had the diminutive pop star grace their stage at the Enmore Theatre in Newtown.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014. REUTERS/Yuya Shino
Wearing a blue and black minidress, Kylie joined the rockers in a surprise appearance on Thursday night. And instead of performing just one song, “The Voice Australia” coach delighted audiences when she stayed for two numbers.
First was a duet with Chris with “Where the Wild Roses Grow,” which she originally sang with Nick Cave in 1995.
After then Kylie and Martin, as well as the rest of the band – Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion – played her 2001 hit “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head.”
This isn’t the first time Coldplay has performed “Can’t Get You Out of My Head.” The band has been covering the track in their past shows.
Kylie quickly thanked the boys for having her at the show, tweeting, “Thank you for the magic @coldplay. Such an honour to be onstage with you tonight!!”
Coldplay then returned the compliment with, “Kylie just took the roof off the enmore: where the wild roses grow x can’t get you out of my head. Pop royalty in the house. PH”
Meanwhile, the band has just released the music video for their “A Sky Full of Stars,” which they shot on the streets of Sydney on Tuesday.
The day before the shooting, the rockers had asked for 250 fans to help them create the video by just appearing at the venue. A lot more than 250 had shown up, though, so the band had to beg the rest of their fans not to come to the venue anymore.
We're shooting the video for A Sky Full Of Stars on the streets of Sydney tomorrow. Does anyone want to be in it!? PH
— Coldplay (@coldplay) June 16, 2014
250 fans needed for #ASFOSvideo tomorrow (tues). Meet 11.30am at courthouse hotel, 202 Australia St, Newtown, Sydney. Bring a smile. PH — Coldplay (@coldplay) June 16, 2014
We've already got 250 fans at #ASFOSvideo shoot location so please DONT COME DOWN if you're not here already. You won't get it in. Sorry!PH
— Coldplay (@coldplay) June 17, 2014
Nonetheless, the result is still spectacular.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales