FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #36 Netherlands vs. Chile
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 20, 2014 10:34 AM EST
Netherlands 2 Chile 0
Arjen Robben of the Netherlands waves after the 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match against Australia at the Beira Rio stadium in Porto Alegre June 18, 2014.
The thirty sixth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between the Netherlands and Chile. The Group B match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as the result of this match will decide the top two spots of the group. The loser of this match may have to face Brazil in the next round.
Netherlands: The Netherlands has performed exceedingly well so far and lived up to the expectation it has come to the tournament with. It scored 8 goals in 2 matches and conceded only 3. The way it defeated world champion Spain with a 5-1 result showed the height of excellence in the team. Even though it had to face tough resistance from Australia, it still managed to score thrice. The top players are in excellent form. However, Robin van Persie will not play in this match due to consecutive yellow cards in the last two matches. Arjen Robben, who already scored 3 goals, will be among the players to compensate his absence.
Chile: Chile's performance has been a revelation in the tournament. After scoring 3 goals against Australia, it scored twice against Spain that ensured its place in the "group of 16." The goal scoring abilities of the South American nation will put it among the top teams in the next round. Chile, however, is aware that finishing second in the group may eventually mean that it has to face Brazil next in the tournament. Plus, if it wins against the mighty Netherlands, it will give the team an extra-ordinary motivation. Things won't be easy but Chile has the fire power to make it happen.
Head to Head
These two teams played once against each other before. The match ended in a draw while both teams scored 2 goals each.
Netherlands: Arjen Robben and Memphis Depay
Chile: Eduardo Vargas and Charles Aránguiz
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 23, which means it is 2 am on June 24 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.
Chile will be good again but the Netherlands will be even better. It will be a high scoring match. The Netherlands will win it 3-2 and finish on top of the group table.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales