FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #34 Croatia vs. Mexico
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 20, 2014 9:55 AM EST
Croatia 1 Mexico 3
Mexico's Guillermo Ochoa waves to the audience at the end of their 2014 World Cup Group A soccer match against Brazil at the Castelao arena in Fortaleza, June 17, 2014.
The thirty fourth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Croatia and Mexico. The Group A match should be extremely interesting as Croatia needs to win it to qualify for the "group of 16." Additionally, either of them will have the opportunity to finish first in the group, depending on the Brazil-Cameroon match results.
Croatia: Croatia had a thumping 4-0 win against Cameroon in its last match. Even its match against Brazil showed how capable it can be even against the toughest oppositions. Croatia coach Niko Kovac said that he would want his team to have enough rest before the Mexico match. He is quite aware of what this match means to his team. Croatia can top the table with a win if Brazil loses its match against Cameroon or if the match ends in a draw. Kovac said that his team, just like Mexico, has great patriotism and team spirit. It is a "do or die" for Croatia.
Mexico: Mexico's match against Brazil was one of the most exciting matches in the tournament even though it ended in a goalless draw. A new hero was born in the form of Guillermo Ochoa. The Mexican goalkeeper saved one shot after another and adamantly refused to be defeated. His performance in the match apparently made FC Barcelona curious, according to his agent. Mexican strikers attacked Brazil goal time and again. They showed how much dangerous they are capable of being. Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari could not complain about the results of the match. Mexico may still stay in the tournament even if it loses this match. However, that will only happen if Brazil suffers a heavy defeat against Cameroon, which seems quite unlikely. That is why it must have a draw at least to proceed to the next round.
Head to Head
These two teams played 3 times against each other before. Croatia won 2, Mexico 1 and 1 ended in a draw. There were 7 goals scored, 5 by Croatia and 2 by Mexico.
Croatia: Mario Mandžukić and Ivica Olić
Mexico: Guillermo Ochoa and Oribe Peralta
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 23, which means it is 6 am on June 24 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Pernambuco in Recife.
Croatia will be under pressure as it knows that even a draw cannot help. Mexico will be able to defend well and win it 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report