FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #34 Croatia vs. Mexico
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 20, 2014 9:55 AM EST
Croatia 1 Mexico 3
Mexico's Guillermo Ochoa waves to the audience at the end of their 2014 World Cup Group A soccer match against Brazil at the Castelao arena in Fortaleza, June 17, 2014.
The thirty fourth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Croatia and Mexico. The Group A match should be extremely interesting as Croatia needs to win it to qualify for the "group of 16." Additionally, either of them will have the opportunity to finish first in the group, depending on the Brazil-Cameroon match results.
Croatia: Croatia had a thumping 4-0 win against Cameroon in its last match. Even its match against Brazil showed how capable it can be even against the toughest oppositions. Croatia coach Niko Kovac said that he would want his team to have enough rest before the Mexico match. He is quite aware of what this match means to his team. Croatia can top the table with a win if Brazil loses its match against Cameroon or if the match ends in a draw. Kovac said that his team, just like Mexico, has great patriotism and team spirit. It is a "do or die" for Croatia.
Mexico: Mexico's match against Brazil was one of the most exciting matches in the tournament even though it ended in a goalless draw. A new hero was born in the form of Guillermo Ochoa. The Mexican goalkeeper saved one shot after another and adamantly refused to be defeated. His performance in the match apparently made FC Barcelona curious, according to his agent. Mexican strikers attacked Brazil goal time and again. They showed how much dangerous they are capable of being. Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari could not complain about the results of the match. Mexico may still stay in the tournament even if it loses this match. However, that will only happen if Brazil suffers a heavy defeat against Cameroon, which seems quite unlikely. That is why it must have a draw at least to proceed to the next round.
Head to Head
These two teams played 3 times against each other before. Croatia won 2, Mexico 1 and 1 ended in a draw. There were 7 goals scored, 5 by Croatia and 2 by Mexico.
Croatia: Mario Mandžukić and Ivica Olić
Mexico: Guillermo Ochoa and Oribe Peralta
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 23, which means it is 6 am on June 24 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Pernambuco in Recife.
Croatia will be under pressure as it knows that even a draw cannot help. Mexico will be able to defend well and win it 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide