World Cup Update: Justin Bieber Destroyed, Bashed on Twitter For Spain’s Exit
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 20, 2014 9:55 AM EST
Justin Bieber was the hottest name on Twitter on Wednesday, as football fans around the world blamed the American pop star for cursing defending champion and world's no.1 Spain out of the World Cup 2014.
Singer Justin Bieber performs at Staples Center during his Believe Tour in Los Angeles, California in this June 24, 2013 file photo. Bieber has been accused of attempted robbery, a Los Angeles Police Department official said on May 13, 2014, following media reports that he had tried to snatch a young woman's mobile telephone. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files
Notorious for pulling off all sorts of public stunts, Bieber caught harsh criticism for what La Roja and even casual sports fans believed his curse on the Spanish men's football team.
The hoopla all started after ESPN Sports nation posted a meme picture on Twitter, showing Bieber holding a brand new Spanish football jersey. It is believed that the 'Baby' singer is a fan of Spain, and thus, the legend of the curse of Bieber lives on.
The Bieber effect, as sports fans called it, had Spain's spiraling out of the World Cup from the get-go. La Roja came into the tournament as a favorite to retain their title, but a 1-5 blowout loss to runner-up Netherland certainly put a dent on their World Cup campaign.
Shocked and outraged by the blowout loss to Robin Van Persie and company, fans vented out their feelings on Twitter, where Bieber apparently has a big bulls-eye on his back. Here are some of Twitter reactions right after Dutch's drubbing of Spain.
"It's Justin Bieber's fault that Spain has done poorly #mytheory #hesacurse," LindsAy @LHayes_13 Jun 18.
"The reason why Spain lost in the World Cup: Justin Bieber #WorldCup #WorldCup2014," RYAN @ryanpaoloreyes.
"Do you know what is more sad than Justin Bieber's record? Spain's performance this World Cup. #GoOranje," Chris Miller @ImChrisMiller.
When everybody thought the mockery on Justin Bieber stopped there, then the blackest day in Spain's football history just happened as La Roja got booted out by a surprisingly stronger Chilean squad on Wednesday. The 2-1 loss signified the end of Spain's chance of advancing to the next round, making it perhaps the worst performance by a defending champion in the World Cup.
Bieber Curse on Diego Costa
After a scintillating performance with Atletico Madrid last season, rumoured Chelsea acquisition Diego Costa became the target of criticism for his lackluster showing in two World Cup games. Of course, the curse of Bieber is again being linked to his poor output.
"Diego Costa has become the latest victim of the infamous 'Bieber Curse'. Many Twitter users feel that Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber has brought gloom to the Spain squad by posing with a Spanish top.
"We should have known the Justin Bieber curse wasn't going to leave Spain overnight. But little did we know it was going to turn Chelsea new boy Diego Costa into a striker who looked like he had just played in the League Two play-offs," according to Yahoo Sports- Euro Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James