Armoured Car Guard in Canada Critically Injured in Attempted Robbery Shootout
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 20, 2014 9:47 AM EST
A Canadian armoured car guard was seriously injured during a shootout outside a bank. It happened in Toronto where police got involved with Jaden Beckford, Rashid Clarke and Nicholas Cross - three bank robbery suspects - in the shootout. Cross is from Toronto while the other two do not have any permanent address.
A Vancouver Police officer watches demonstrators protest on the streets following the federal government's approval of the Enbridge's Northern Gateway pipeline in Vancouver, British Columbia June 17, 2014. The Canadian government approved the construction of Enbridge Inc's Northern Gateway pipeline on Tuesday, setting the stage for a barrage of lawsuits and demonstrations by environmental and aboriginal groups opposed to the project.
The 37-year-old injured guard was attacked when he left the GardaWorld armoured vehicle at a TD Canada Trust branch on Avenue Road north of Lawrence Avenue about 1:15 a.m. on Thursday, Globe and Mail reported. The teenage suspects allegedly attempted robbing the same guard as well as his partner a couple of weeks back. The guard is reportedly in critical condition.
Toronto Police Staff Inspector Mike Earl talked to reporters. "He was ambushed by three male suspects," Earl said, "And when I mean ambushed, he was immediately fired upon with a handgun. He took four rounds to the body." The guard shot back as one of the suspects tried shooting at him. According to police, more than 10 bullets were fired within a minute. During the shootout, the partner of the guard remained in the armoured truck in lockdown mode.
The robbery suspects, on the other hand, could not steal any money. They managed to run away on foot. However, they got arrested in the Lawrence heights area later on. A semi-automatic handgun which was believed to have been used as the only weapon in the shootout was seized. All the arrested suspects happen to be 18 years old. They now face several charges which include armed robbery and attempted murder.
The suspects also face conspiracy charges in relation to an attempted robbery on June 5, which involved the same guards. The repeated attempts to rob the same guards indicated that the teenagers kept a track of the armoured trucks which drop cash at banks. "These individuals no doubt planned this and attempted this on an earlier date, in my mind and the investigators' minds," Earl said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Satanic Sex Cult Has 1800 Men Having Sex With A Teen
- Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
- Mass Rapes In Iraq & Syria As Islamic State Seeks To Populate Caliphate; Male Muslim Recruits Also Sodomised
- Expect More Beheadings As Islamic State Urges Jihadists To Kill By Any Means Possible Australians & Other Citizens Of Nations Who Enter Into Coalition Against IS
- 5 Famous People Who've Spent Time In Jail
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L