Rio Tinto Cuts Price of Low-Grade Iron Ore to $73/Tonne; Operator of Cairn Hill Iron Ore Project Placed in Administration
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 20, 2014 8:47 AM EST
The drop in demand for the key steelmaking ingredient continues that a major Australian exporter of iron ore further lowered this week its price of the commodity, while on miner went into administration.
Mining giant Rio Tinto (ASX: RIO) informed two customers on Tuesday that it would discount its low-grade iron ore by 13 per cent from 6 per cent beginning July 1, effectively dropping the price of iron ore to $73 per tonne from the already low price of $89, reports the Herald Sun.
Besides Rio, Fortescue Metals Group (ASX: FMG) has also cut the price of its low-grade iron ore because of the weak demand from China.
Tim Murray, managing partner of J Capital Research, explained the plummeting price of low-grade iron ore to the supply-demand imbalance, causing the price of iron ore to go down 30 per cent from January prices.
The situation has caused Termite Resources, the miner that operates the Cairn Hill iron ore project in South Australia, to be placed in administration. The company is 51 per cent owned by IMX Resources, an ASX-listed company.
Martin Lewis of Ferrier Hodgson is the appointed administrator of Termite. I
According to IMX, Termite is responsible for all contractual obligations for the Cairn Hills project, except for a guarantee it provided under a port handling services deal with Flinders Port.
IMX said the development would have no effect on the ongoing exploration programme at the Ntaka Hill nickel exploration project and the Kishugu gold prospect in Tanzania.
Iron ore prices reached a peak of $135/tonne in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 29, 2014
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report