Rio Tinto Cuts Price of Low-Grade Iron Ore to $73/Tonne; Operator of Cairn Hill Iron Ore Project Placed in Administration
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 20, 2014 8:47 AM EST
The drop in demand for the key steelmaking ingredient continues that a major Australian exporter of iron ore further lowered this week its price of the commodity, while on miner went into administration.
Mining giant Rio Tinto (ASX: RIO) informed two customers on Tuesday that it would discount its low-grade iron ore by 13 per cent from 6 per cent beginning July 1, effectively dropping the price of iron ore to $73 per tonne from the already low price of $89, reports the Herald Sun.
Besides Rio, Fortescue Metals Group (ASX: FMG) has also cut the price of its low-grade iron ore because of the weak demand from China.
Tim Murray, managing partner of J Capital Research, explained the plummeting price of low-grade iron ore to the supply-demand imbalance, causing the price of iron ore to go down 30 per cent from January prices.
The situation has caused Termite Resources, the miner that operates the Cairn Hill iron ore project in South Australia, to be placed in administration. The company is 51 per cent owned by IMX Resources, an ASX-listed company.
Martin Lewis of Ferrier Hodgson is the appointed administrator of Termite. I
According to IMX, Termite is responsible for all contractual obligations for the Cairn Hills project, except for a guarantee it provided under a port handling services deal with Flinders Port.
IMX said the development would have no effect on the ongoing exploration programme at the Ntaka Hill nickel exploration project and the Kishugu gold prospect in Tanzania.
Iron ore prices reached a peak of $135/tonne in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- $530-Billion Saudi Arabia Stock Market to Open to Foreign Investors in 2015
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports