Boxing News 2014: Another Mayweather Belittles Pacquiao, Says Cotto Is Now Better Than Filipino Champ
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 20, 2014 8:43 AM EST
Majority of the Mayweather men in boxing probably sees eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao secretly as a threat to Floyd Mayweather Jr that they would hit the Filipino champ whenever the opportunity arises.
Floyd Mayweather Sr, the father of Money May, recently belittled Pacquiao's coach Freddie Roach, while Floyd Jr echoed his father's outlook and had written off the Filipino champ from his list of future ring opponents.
On Wednesday, Money May's uncle and former trainer, Roger Mayweather, said that Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto could now be more dangerous to his nephew than Pacquiao, reports Badlefthook.
Ironically, Cotto is also under the wings of Roach now. Roger pointed to two straight victories of Cotto under Roach's tutelage as proofs, particularly his win over Sergio Martinez in nine rounds for the WBO middleweight title.
"Cotto got more ability, he's a better puncher, he's a brilliant guy. He's a brilliant puncher. Pacquiao has nothing of those movements," Roger said.
Pacquiao won over Cotto in 2009 in 12 rounds, but Roach has said no to a rematch between his two trainees who have actually grown out of each other's weight class.
But in the case of newly minted WBO junior welterweight champion, Chris Algieri has expressed willingness to meet Pacquiao's weight class, making him a possible opponent of Pacman for his scheduled Nov 27 bout in Macau.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More