Boxing News 2014: Another Mayweather Belittles Pacquiao, Says Cotto Is Now Better Than Filipino Champ
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 20, 2014 8:43 AM EST
Majority of the Mayweather men in boxing probably sees eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao secretly as a threat to Floyd Mayweather Jr that they would hit the Filipino champ whenever the opportunity arises.
Floyd Mayweather Sr, the father of Money May, recently belittled Pacquiao's coach Freddie Roach, while Floyd Jr echoed his father's outlook and had written off the Filipino champ from his list of future ring opponents.
On Wednesday, Money May's uncle and former trainer, Roger Mayweather, said that Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto could now be more dangerous to his nephew than Pacquiao, reports Badlefthook.
Ironically, Cotto is also under the wings of Roach now. Roger pointed to two straight victories of Cotto under Roach's tutelage as proofs, particularly his win over Sergio Martinez in nine rounds for the WBO middleweight title.
"Cotto got more ability, he's a better puncher, he's a brilliant guy. He's a brilliant puncher. Pacquiao has nothing of those movements," Roger said.
Pacquiao won over Cotto in 2009 in 12 rounds, but Roach has said no to a rematch between his two trainees who have actually grown out of each other's weight class.
But in the case of newly minted WBO junior welterweight champion, Chris Algieri has expressed willingness to meet Pacquiao's weight class, making him a possible opponent of Pacman for his scheduled Nov 27 bout in Macau.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS