Liverpool FC News: Man United Great takes a Shot at Reds Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 19, 2014 11:14 PM EST
Manchester United great Paul Scholes came out with a statement implying that Liverpool striker Luis Suarez might have won the Premier League Player of the Year by sheer luck.
“Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill – he gets breaks other forwards don’t.” - Paul Scholes on Luis Suarez
The Uruguay international enjoyed his best season, thus far, donning the red shirt, helping the Merseysiders to get back to the Champions League by securing a second-place finish.
"Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill - he gets breaks other forwards don't," said the retired Red Devil.
The former Ajax standout slowly transformed his game, to the benefit of the Reds, contributing 31 goals and 21 assists in England's top-flight, and Scholes admits that it had worked wonders for his club and himself.
"In 2012/2013 Suarez was pretty selfish and missed too many chances for Liverpool," he added.
"Thinking of my time at Man United we didn't worry about Suarez much."
"He'd barely get a kick at Old Trafford and I don't remember any specific strategy to try to stop him playing, like we did with Park Ji-Sung on Andrea Pirlo in the Champions League, for example."
"Last season Suarez changed his game and wasn't just thinking about himself. It made him a better player, especially in his partnership with Daniel Sturridge."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports