Liverpool FC News: Man United Great takes a Shot at Reds Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 19, 2014 11:14 PM EST
Manchester United great Paul Scholes came out with a statement implying that Liverpool striker Luis Suarez might have won the Premier League Player of the Year by sheer luck.
“Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill – he gets breaks other forwards don’t.” - Paul Scholes on Luis Suarez
The Uruguay international enjoyed his best season, thus far, donning the red shirt, helping the Merseysiders to get back to the Champions League by securing a second-place finish.
"Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill - he gets breaks other forwards don't," said the retired Red Devil.
The former Ajax standout slowly transformed his game, to the benefit of the Reds, contributing 31 goals and 21 assists in England's top-flight, and Scholes admits that it had worked wonders for his club and himself.
"In 2012/2013 Suarez was pretty selfish and missed too many chances for Liverpool," he added.
"Thinking of my time at Man United we didn't worry about Suarez much."
"He'd barely get a kick at Old Trafford and I don't remember any specific strategy to try to stop him playing, like we did with Park Ji-Sung on Andrea Pirlo in the Champions League, for example."
"Last season Suarez changed his game and wasn't just thinking about himself. It made him a better player, especially in his partnership with Daniel Sturridge."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast