Liverpool FC News: Man United Great takes a Shot at Reds Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 19, 2014 11:14 PM EST
Manchester United great Paul Scholes came out with a statement implying that Liverpool striker Luis Suarez might have won the Premier League Player of the Year by sheer luck.
“Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill – he gets breaks other forwards don’t.” - Paul Scholes on Luis Suarez
The Uruguay international enjoyed his best season, thus far, donning the red shirt, helping the Merseysiders to get back to the Champions League by securing a second-place finish.
"Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill - he gets breaks other forwards don't," said the retired Red Devil.
The former Ajax standout slowly transformed his game, to the benefit of the Reds, contributing 31 goals and 21 assists in England's top-flight, and Scholes admits that it had worked wonders for his club and himself.
"In 2012/2013 Suarez was pretty selfish and missed too many chances for Liverpool," he added.
"Thinking of my time at Man United we didn't worry about Suarez much."
"He'd barely get a kick at Old Trafford and I don't remember any specific strategy to try to stop him playing, like we did with Park Ji-Sung on Andrea Pirlo in the Champions League, for example."
"Last season Suarez changed his game and wasn't just thinking about himself. It made him a better player, especially in his partnership with Daniel Sturridge."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage