Liverpool FC News: Man United Great takes a Shot at Reds Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 19, 2014 11:14 PM EST
Manchester United great Paul Scholes came out with a statement implying that Liverpool striker Luis Suarez might have won the Premier League Player of the Year by sheer luck.
“Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill – he gets breaks other forwards don’t.” - Paul Scholes on Luis Suarez
The Uruguay international enjoyed his best season, thus far, donning the red shirt, helping the Merseysiders to get back to the Champions League by securing a second-place finish.
"Suarez is a lucky player. The ball seems to bounce off him into the right place. Luck or skill - he gets breaks other forwards don't," said the retired Red Devil.
The former Ajax standout slowly transformed his game, to the benefit of the Reds, contributing 31 goals and 21 assists in England's top-flight, and Scholes admits that it had worked wonders for his club and himself.
"In 2012/2013 Suarez was pretty selfish and missed too many chances for Liverpool," he added.
"Thinking of my time at Man United we didn't worry about Suarez much."
"He'd barely get a kick at Old Trafford and I don't remember any specific strategy to try to stop him playing, like we did with Park Ji-Sung on Andrea Pirlo in the Champions League, for example."
"Last season Suarez changed his game and wasn't just thinking about himself. It made him a better player, especially in his partnership with Daniel Sturridge."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display