British Soap ‘Coronation Street’ To Feature 12-Year-Old Pregnant Mother
By Anne Lu | June 19, 2014 10:57 PM EST
British soap “Coronation Street” is set to feature the youngest mother ever in its history. Faye Windass, played by 13-year-old Ellie Leach, will become pregnant at just age 12.
“This is bound to be a controversial storyline, but the program has a history of handling difficult subject matters in a sensitive and considerate way,” an insider told The Sun.
Viewers have seen Faye, the adopted daughter of Anna and Eddie Windass (Debbie Rush and Steve Huison respectively), displaying troubled behaviour since she appeared in the soap in 2011. She had stolen a handbag containing £500, throwing stones at Mary Taylor’s Caravan and tormenting brain-damaged Nick Tisley.
She wasn’t always the bad girl, though. Before her adoption became official, Eddie suddenly left their home, which made her feel guilty, thinking that it was her fault that her adoptive father left them.
Faye was also cyberbullied by a schoolmate for being adopted.
Details of the plot, including the identity of the father of Faye’s baby, have not yet been revealed. The storyline is expected to air later in 2014.
Faye is not the first young mother to be featured in the soap, or even the youngest in the British soap opera history.
In 2000, former character Sarah-Louise Platt, played by Tina O’Brien, gave birth at just age 13.
Channel 4 soap “Hollyoaks” also had a child mum in 2010 when Amber Sharpe (Lydia Lloyd-Henry) gave birth at 12 years old.
In Australia, teenage pregnancy in soap operas isn’t featured as often as it is portrayed in their UK counterparts.
“Neighbours” came under fire from conservative family groups in 2009 when its character Bridget Parker (Eloise Mignon) got pregnant at 17.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Jurassic World’ Director Teases New Image Featuring Chris Pratt In A Friendly Pose With A Raptor [Spoilers]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 10 Update: Air Date, Hints, Oliver Queen's Return Theories [Spoilers, Review]
- Bookmaker Suspends Bets on Queen Elizabeth II Christmas Day Abdication Announcement
- 'White Collar' Season 6, Episode 6 Spoiler: Matt Bomer's Neal Caffrey Dies In Finale Speculations, Mozzie Dies And 'Baby Neal' In Facebook Comments
- Kate Middleton News: The Duchess Glams Up In Queen’s Christmas Lunch After Controversial Hoodie [PHOTOS]