'Game of Thrones' Set to Welcome Queen Elizabeth II
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 19, 2014 7:44 PM EST
Queen Eizabeth II is set to visit the production set of HBO's hugely popular series "Game of Thrones" in Belfast Studios during her Northern Island Tour in the fourth week of June.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/Files
According to Belfast Telegraph, the four seasons of "Game of Thrones" have generated more than 900 full time and 5,700 part-time jobs, which according to estimates, make the show's production one of the biggest in Europe. It has also significantly contributed to the economy of Northern Ireland, providing the country an economic benefit of $139 million.
"Game of Thrones" is based on book series, "A Song of Ice and Fire" written by George R. R. Martin. It portrays interweaving stories of noble people who live in a country that is undergoing a civil war. It contains graphic scenes of violence and sex, which has made countries such as China to heavily censor the show.
Aside from its economic contribution, "Game of Thrones" has become undeniably popular in different countries. The official U.S. rating showed that its fourth season finale entitled, "The Children" raked-in 7.1 million viewers. However, not everyone was watching it the legal way. On June 16, TorrentFreak reported that the season finale of "Game of Thrones" was able to set a new record of piracy. Over 250,000 "Game of Thrones" fans downloaded a copy just a few hours after its first torrent hit the Internet. This U.S. fantasy drama series has got the reputation of being "the most pirated show in the world."
In 2012, Australia had a record of being the top country that downloaded the series through the method of piracy. The reason was due to the delay of its episode airing, urging the Aussies to download it through the Internet. Americans also ranked high in terms of illegal downloads, as many of the viewers refused to subscribe to HBO, the channel that telecasts "Game of Thrones." Canada and United Kingdom were ranked third and fourth for the most number of people illegally downloading the series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight