'Game of Thrones' Set to Welcome Queen Elizabeth II
By Karen Nielsen Palconit | June 19, 2014 7:44 PM EST
Queen Eizabeth II is set to visit the production set of HBO's hugely popular series "Game of Thrones" in Belfast Studios during her Northern Island Tour in the fourth week of June.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/Files
According to Belfast Telegraph, the four seasons of "Game of Thrones" have generated more than 900 full time and 5,700 part-time jobs, which according to estimates, make the show's production one of the biggest in Europe. It has also significantly contributed to the economy of Northern Ireland, providing the country an economic benefit of $139 million.
"Game of Thrones" is based on book series, "A Song of Ice and Fire" written by George R. R. Martin. It portrays interweaving stories of noble people who live in a country that is undergoing a civil war. It contains graphic scenes of violence and sex, which has made countries such as China to heavily censor the show.
Aside from its economic contribution, "Game of Thrones" has become undeniably popular in different countries. The official U.S. rating showed that its fourth season finale entitled, "The Children" raked-in 7.1 million viewers. However, not everyone was watching it the legal way. On June 16, TorrentFreak reported that the season finale of "Game of Thrones" was able to set a new record of piracy. Over 250,000 "Game of Thrones" fans downloaded a copy just a few hours after its first torrent hit the Internet. This U.S. fantasy drama series has got the reputation of being "the most pirated show in the world."
In 2012, Australia had a record of being the top country that downloaded the series through the method of piracy. The reason was due to the delay of its episode airing, urging the Aussies to download it through the Internet. Americans also ranked high in terms of illegal downloads, as many of the viewers refused to subscribe to HBO, the channel that telecasts "Game of Thrones." Canada and United Kingdom were ranked third and fourth for the most number of people illegally downloading the series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]