Wimbledon Seeds Announced, Djokovic and Williams Named Top Seeds
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 19, 2014 6:36 PM EST
The seeds for the upcoming Wimbledon tournament were announced on June 18.
A total of 128 athletes, 64 each for male's and female's singles, are participating in the Grand Slam tournament which begins on June 23.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Novak Djokovic, the 2011 Wimbledon champion, was seeded first. Djokovic has played seven tournaments up to date. He has won three Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Masters 1000 titles including the Indian Wells, Miami Open, and Italian Open.
Rafael Nadal was named the number 2 seed. According to ATPworldtour.com, Nadal's seeding was influenced by his shocking first round loss to Steve Darcis in the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
Defending champion Andy Murray, who hasn't won a title in the 2014 season, was seeded third. Murray has only reached a semifinals match twice in all the 12 tournaments he played this season. He last played in the Queen's Club championships but was knocked out early in the tournament by Czech Radek Stepanek.
Roger Federer, who is on a quest to win his eighth Wimbledon trophy, was seeded fourth.
Meanwhile, top-ranked female tennis athlete and five-time Wimbledon champion was named the number one seed in the women's category. In 2013, Williams' 34-match winning streak was crushed by Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round of the said tournament.
China's Na Li was seeded second. Simona Halep and Agnieszka Radwanska were third and fourth seed, individually. Maria Sharapova, who just clinched her second French Open title was the number five seed. Petra Kvitova, who won the title in 2011, was seeded sixth.
Sharapova could be William's top rival because the duo could end up on the same side of the draw, ESPN reported.
Wimbledon's Web site provides a complete list of the tournament's seeds. The main draw will take place on June 20, three days before the tournament officially kicks off.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop