Wimbledon Seeds Announced, Djokovic and Williams Named Top Seeds
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 19, 2014 6:36 PM EST
The seeds for the upcoming Wimbledon tournament were announced on June 18.
A total of 128 athletes, 64 each for male's and female's singles, are participating in the Grand Slam tournament which begins on June 23.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Novak Djokovic, the 2011 Wimbledon champion, was seeded first. Djokovic has played seven tournaments up to date. He has won three Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Masters 1000 titles including the Indian Wells, Miami Open, and Italian Open.
Rafael Nadal was named the number 2 seed. According to ATPworldtour.com, Nadal's seeding was influenced by his shocking first round loss to Steve Darcis in the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
Defending champion Andy Murray, who hasn't won a title in the 2014 season, was seeded third. Murray has only reached a semifinals match twice in all the 12 tournaments he played this season. He last played in the Queen's Club championships but was knocked out early in the tournament by Czech Radek Stepanek.
Roger Federer, who is on a quest to win his eighth Wimbledon trophy, was seeded fourth.
Meanwhile, top-ranked female tennis athlete and five-time Wimbledon champion was named the number one seed in the women's category. In 2013, Williams' 34-match winning streak was crushed by Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round of the said tournament.
China's Na Li was seeded second. Simona Halep and Agnieszka Radwanska were third and fourth seed, individually. Maria Sharapova, who just clinched her second French Open title was the number five seed. Petra Kvitova, who won the title in 2011, was seeded sixth.
Sharapova could be William's top rival because the duo could end up on the same side of the draw, ESPN reported.
Wimbledon's Web site provides a complete list of the tournament's seeds. The main draw will take place on June 20, three days before the tournament officially kicks off.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged