Wimbledon Seeds Announced, Djokovic and Williams Named Top Seeds
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 19, 2014 6:36 PM EST
The seeds for the upcoming Wimbledon tournament were announced on June 18.
A total of 128 athletes, 64 each for male's and female's singles, are participating in the Grand Slam tournament which begins on June 23.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Novak Djokovic, the 2011 Wimbledon champion, was seeded first. Djokovic has played seven tournaments up to date. He has won three Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Masters 1000 titles including the Indian Wells, Miami Open, and Italian Open.
Rafael Nadal was named the number 2 seed. According to ATPworldtour.com, Nadal's seeding was influenced by his shocking first round loss to Steve Darcis in the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
Defending champion Andy Murray, who hasn't won a title in the 2014 season, was seeded third. Murray has only reached a semifinals match twice in all the 12 tournaments he played this season. He last played in the Queen's Club championships but was knocked out early in the tournament by Czech Radek Stepanek.
Roger Federer, who is on a quest to win his eighth Wimbledon trophy, was seeded fourth.
Meanwhile, top-ranked female tennis athlete and five-time Wimbledon champion was named the number one seed in the women's category. In 2013, Williams' 34-match winning streak was crushed by Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round of the said tournament.
China's Na Li was seeded second. Simona Halep and Agnieszka Radwanska were third and fourth seed, individually. Maria Sharapova, who just clinched her second French Open title was the number five seed. Petra Kvitova, who won the title in 2011, was seeded sixth.
Sharapova could be William's top rival because the duo could end up on the same side of the draw, ESPN reported.
Wimbledon's Web site provides a complete list of the tournament's seeds. The main draw will take place on June 20, three days before the tournament officially kicks off.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS