Wimbledon Seeds Announced, Djokovic and Williams Named Top Seeds
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 19, 2014 6:36 PM EST
The seeds for the upcoming Wimbledon tournament were announced on June 18.
A total of 128 athletes, 64 each for male's and female's singles, are participating in the Grand Slam tournament which begins on June 23.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Novak Djokovic, the 2011 Wimbledon champion, was seeded first. Djokovic has played seven tournaments up to date. He has won three Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Masters 1000 titles including the Indian Wells, Miami Open, and Italian Open.
Rafael Nadal was named the number 2 seed. According to ATPworldtour.com, Nadal's seeding was influenced by his shocking first round loss to Steve Darcis in the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
Defending champion Andy Murray, who hasn't won a title in the 2014 season, was seeded third. Murray has only reached a semifinals match twice in all the 12 tournaments he played this season. He last played in the Queen's Club championships but was knocked out early in the tournament by Czech Radek Stepanek.
Roger Federer, who is on a quest to win his eighth Wimbledon trophy, was seeded fourth.
Meanwhile, top-ranked female tennis athlete and five-time Wimbledon champion was named the number one seed in the women's category. In 2013, Williams' 34-match winning streak was crushed by Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round of the said tournament.
China's Na Li was seeded second. Simona Halep and Agnieszka Radwanska were third and fourth seed, individually. Maria Sharapova, who just clinched her second French Open title was the number five seed. Petra Kvitova, who won the title in 2011, was seeded sixth.
Sharapova could be William's top rival because the duo could end up on the same side of the draw, ESPN reported.
Wimbledon's Web site provides a complete list of the tournament's seeds. The main draw will take place on June 20, three days before the tournament officially kicks off.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal