Wimbledon Seeds Announced, Djokovic and Williams Named Top Seeds
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 19, 2014 6:36 PM EST
The seeds for the upcoming Wimbledon tournament were announced on June 18.
A total of 128 athletes, 64 each for male's and female's singles, are participating in the Grand Slam tournament which begins on June 23.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Novak Djokovic, the 2011 Wimbledon champion, was seeded first. Djokovic has played seven tournaments up to date. He has won three Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour Masters 1000 titles including the Indian Wells, Miami Open, and Italian Open.
Rafael Nadal was named the number 2 seed. According to ATPworldtour.com, Nadal's seeding was influenced by his shocking first round loss to Steve Darcis in the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
Defending champion Andy Murray, who hasn't won a title in the 2014 season, was seeded third. Murray has only reached a semifinals match twice in all the 12 tournaments he played this season. He last played in the Queen's Club championships but was knocked out early in the tournament by Czech Radek Stepanek.
Roger Federer, who is on a quest to win his eighth Wimbledon trophy, was seeded fourth.
Meanwhile, top-ranked female tennis athlete and five-time Wimbledon champion was named the number one seed in the women's category. In 2013, Williams' 34-match winning streak was crushed by Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round of the said tournament.
China's Na Li was seeded second. Simona Halep and Agnieszka Radwanska were third and fourth seed, individually. Maria Sharapova, who just clinched her second French Open title was the number five seed. Petra Kvitova, who won the title in 2011, was seeded sixth.
Sharapova could be William's top rival because the duo could end up on the same side of the draw, ESPN reported.
Wimbledon's Web site provides a complete list of the tournament's seeds. The main draw will take place on June 20, three days before the tournament officially kicks off.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People