Iker Casillas 'Says Sorry' to Fans After Spain's World Cup Defeat
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 19, 2014 6:32 PM EST
Spain is out from the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Goalkeeper Iker Casillas asks for forgiveness from millions of supporters worldwide.
Spain's goalkeeper Iker Casillas reacts after a goal by Netherlands during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13,2014.
Worldwide support has grown for the Spanish national squad extending beyond Spanish spectators, especially after the team won the 2010 FIFA World Cup and two European Championships in 2008 and 2012.
It was a winning team no doubt. Many of the players involved in all three victories are still in the squad. Despite proving a winning formula, the team came crashing back down to earth in the first round of the World Cup.
The defending champions suffered back-to-back humiliations from two teams seeking revenge and vindication. Their opening match against the Netherlands was a repeat of the 2010 finals were the Iberian side emerged on top. This time around, the Oranje massacred the Spaniards with a 5-1 score line.
The second match in Group B saw Spain going up against Chile in a crucial do-or-die match at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. Chile's national team may not have a grudge against Spain but they have a score to settle with the Maracana stadium itself.
Flashback to September 1989 when Brazil were up against Chile 1-0 in a qualifying match for the World Cup in Italy the following year-an incident involving flares and faked injury by the Chilean keeper resulted in the team being banned from the 1994 World Cup. This was the first time Chile returned to the Maracana since then. The return had a loud bang by taking out the defending champions.
In the wake of the match against the Netherlands, Spanish captain received a lot of flak for what many perceived to be a lackluster performance on his part after letting through five goals. Casillas was quick to admit his part in the resulting slaughter of his team. But Spain's Coach Vicente del Bosque and teammate Sergio Ramos were quick to defend him.
Now, after another defeat and the team's elimination, fans and observers seemed to see many other faults and weaknesses in the team and management.
Casillas was once again quick to admit that the team was not at par with expectations and in an interview with TELE 5, he voiced out his apologies.
"We wanted to do everything possible to maintain the people's dream but we couldn't do it. We ask for forgiveness and we are the primary ones responsible. We leave hurt and annoyed."
Vicente del Bosque, for his part, also has words about the defeat, saying fingers must not be pointed at them and decisions about the team's future would be settled at another time.
"We don't have any excuses. We didn't meet the standards expected of us, though I would like to say that the team showed character. We pushed forward but we didn't have any luck. Now is not the time to think about the team's future or mine. There'll be plenty of time for that, but not right now."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft