VEMIBRA Campaign Works! Swedish Striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic Spotted in Brazil! [PHOTO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 19, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is in Brazil! The enigmatic Swedish striker has made an appearance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup during the Group B match between defending champions Spain and Chile at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. Sweden were eliminated in the World Cup qualifying rounds late last year by Portugal, a match that would see one of two superstars out of the finals. It was between Cristiano Ronaldo and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. When the dust settled, it was Portugal through and Sweden out.
The official FIFA World Cup account tweeted this photo of Ibrahimovic in the stands with his son
Why is this a big deal? Back in November, when Sweden were taken out, Zlatan made some controversial comments stating that a World Cup without him is not worth watching at all. Because of this, Brazilian players, celebrities and regular people started a campaign to invite Zlatan to come to Brazil. They called it "VEMIBRA" of "Come Ibra" in Portuguese. A viral video was made to popularize the campaign with appearances by Brazilian football legend Ronaldo and MMA fighter Anderson Silva. Many other players and celebrities appeared in the video all basically inviting Zlatan to show up in Brazil and make the World Cup worth watching with his presence there.
Ibrahimovic had been in the United States to promote the launch of his book, "I Am Zlatan," in the weeks leading up to the World Cup and now, he has finally made an appearance and it it seems the campaign has worked! The video also called for other fans to use the hashtag #VEMIBRA and to tag Zlatan's social media accounts. The French supporters even hung a large banner saying: "ZLATAN: We miss you" during their team's opening match.against Honduras. Ibrahimovic plays his club football with French side Paris Saint-Germain. Soon after the video came out and he was bombarded with invitations to come, Ibrahimovic tweeted a teasing photo of himself hinting that he might change his plans for the summer and might actually come to Brazil.
Now, it's official. Zlatan has made an appearance and the games in Brazil are all that much more attractive as evidenced by the overwhelming response to his presence there. The original post has been retweeted or favorited over 5,000 times in less that three hours and news is quickly spreading.
View the VEMIBRA Video:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health