Australian High Court Declares School Chaplaincy Programme Invalid
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 19, 2014 6:22 PM EST
The Australian High Court declared on Thursday in a landmark decision that the school chaplain programme is invalid because it is not supported by a head of constitutional power.
Pupils at Shanghai schools are following the trend toward unisexuality (Reuters)
The ruling was the result of a 2012 challenge raised by Ron Williams, father of six children in Toowoomba. The decision affects more than 400 commonwealth spending programme and could force the Abbott government to initiate a major overhaul of the manner the federal government funds everything, reports The Australian.
In the first challenge by Williams, the High Court declared spending on the chaplaincy invalid, but for the Thursday decision, the court knocked over the scheme.
Williams, who has four children enrolled at the Darling Heights State Primary School, pointed out, "Public schools aren't a place for religious missionaries, with or without government funding. The fact the federal government was funding them was adding insult to injury."
The court said, "The legislation purports to support over 400 Commonwealth schemes listed by the executive - but the Court has confirmed that each of these must be able to be connected to a source of Commonwealth legislative power. For some that might be easy enough. But for many, like the chaplains program, it is apparent that the Commonwealth has been acting beyond its constitutional capacity."
Reacting to the court decision, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the Coalition wants the school chaplains programme to continue.
He said, "This is a policy that was invented by the Coalition, it was supported by the Coalition, so we very much support it and we want it to continue."
The programme provided funding of up to $72,000 each for 3,700 Australian schools to hire chaplains. In May, another $244 million was allocated for the scheme, spread over four years. It targets to provide chaplains for 2,900 schools.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales