'Being Anonymous' While Online
By Naveena Joy | June 19, 2014 5:50 PM EST
A new Wired report cited one may easily be anonymous and work online in today's advanced society. There are several ways to be completely anonymous.
One of the ways to reach online anonymity is through the software called Tor, which is the safest and developer-friendly method for using the Internet in disguise. Tor is a free and open source program which can triple-encrypt the Internet traffic and bounces out to different computers all around the world. By doing this, location tracking and browsing become difficult.
Wired reported the core application which is distributed for free by the Tor Project is the Firefox-based Tor Browser that can push all the Web traffic through the anonymous network. It is slower than other web browsers but it is the safest browser to protect one's privacy.
The publication added using a Web mail service in the Tor browser is the fastest and simplest way to hide one's details while sending an email. The Guerrilla mail is a temporary, disposable email service that ensures no connection with the IP address. To encrypt messages, a combination of tools are used to avoid manual setup, including "the privacy-focused email host like Riseup.net, the Mozilla email app Thuderbird, the encryption plugin Enigmail and another plugin called TorBirdy that routes its messages through Tor."
Both Adium and Pidgin, the instant messaging clients of Mac and Windows, also support Tor. But the Tor project is working on an IM program that will be designed to be more secure and anonymous.
Large File Transfers
The Onionshare, an open-source software is used to share files, this further creates a Tor Hidden Service-a temporary anonymous Web site on computers.
Being anonymous on mobiles and tablets is a bit difficult. But there are certain apps that will make catch the pace fast, including Orbot that runs Tor on Android and Onion Browser in the iOS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop