'Being Anonymous' While Online
By Naveena Joy | June 19, 2014 5:50 PM EST
A new Wired report cited one may easily be anonymous and work online in today's advanced society. There are several ways to be completely anonymous.
One of the ways to reach online anonymity is through the software called Tor, which is the safest and developer-friendly method for using the Internet in disguise. Tor is a free and open source program which can triple-encrypt the Internet traffic and bounces out to different computers all around the world. By doing this, location tracking and browsing become difficult.
Wired reported the core application which is distributed for free by the Tor Project is the Firefox-based Tor Browser that can push all the Web traffic through the anonymous network. It is slower than other web browsers but it is the safest browser to protect one's privacy.
The publication added using a Web mail service in the Tor browser is the fastest and simplest way to hide one's details while sending an email. The Guerrilla mail is a temporary, disposable email service that ensures no connection with the IP address. To encrypt messages, a combination of tools are used to avoid manual setup, including "the privacy-focused email host like Riseup.net, the Mozilla email app Thuderbird, the encryption plugin Enigmail and another plugin called TorBirdy that routes its messages through Tor."
Both Adium and Pidgin, the instant messaging clients of Mac and Windows, also support Tor. But the Tor project is working on an IM program that will be designed to be more secure and anonymous.
Large File Transfers
The Onionshare, an open-source software is used to share files, this further creates a Tor Hidden Service-a temporary anonymous Web site on computers.
Being anonymous on mobiles and tablets is a bit difficult. But there are certain apps that will make catch the pace fast, including Orbot that runs Tor on Android and Onion Browser in the iOS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- iOS 8 Bugs: Minor, Moderate And Serious Issues Why Users Should Not Upgrade Immediately
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Updates: Meet The Leaders of Team Magma and Aqua, Trainer and His Mega Gallade
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Gay And Lesbian Pregnancy Now Available As Alternative To Adoption
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown