'Being Anonymous' While Online
By Naveena Joy | June 19, 2014 5:50 PM EST
A new Wired report cited one may easily be anonymous and work online in today's advanced society. There are several ways to be completely anonymous.
One of the ways to reach online anonymity is through the software called Tor, which is the safest and developer-friendly method for using the Internet in disguise. Tor is a free and open source program which can triple-encrypt the Internet traffic and bounces out to different computers all around the world. By doing this, location tracking and browsing become difficult.
Wired reported the core application which is distributed for free by the Tor Project is the Firefox-based Tor Browser that can push all the Web traffic through the anonymous network. It is slower than other web browsers but it is the safest browser to protect one's privacy.
The publication added using a Web mail service in the Tor browser is the fastest and simplest way to hide one's details while sending an email. The Guerrilla mail is a temporary, disposable email service that ensures no connection with the IP address. To encrypt messages, a combination of tools are used to avoid manual setup, including "the privacy-focused email host like Riseup.net, the Mozilla email app Thuderbird, the encryption plugin Enigmail and another plugin called TorBirdy that routes its messages through Tor."
Both Adium and Pidgin, the instant messaging clients of Mac and Windows, also support Tor. But the Tor project is working on an IM program that will be designed to be more secure and anonymous.
Large File Transfers
The Onionshare, an open-source software is used to share files, this further creates a Tor Hidden Service-a temporary anonymous Web site on computers.
Being anonymous on mobiles and tablets is a bit difficult. But there are certain apps that will make catch the pace fast, including Orbot that runs Tor on Android and Onion Browser in the iOS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles