Game of Thrones (GOT) Deleted Scenes Not An Option, Season 4 Finale Scenes Trimmed Down Instead
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 5:15 PM EST
HBO's "Game of Thrones" director, Alex Graves, revealed how deleting scenes in the Season 4 finale was not an option since the episode was just trimmed down.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode.
The director's cut of the Season 4 Finale of "Game of Thrones" came out to be 66 minutes long even after the episode was trimmed down. But Alex Graves admitted no scenes were deleted.
In an interview with Collider's Steve Weintraub, "Game of Thrones" director, Alex Graves, assured fans they only shortenened the scenes of the Season 4 finale and not deleted them.
"There weren't any deleted scenes, it was just a matter of tightening stuff. I didn't have any deleted scenes in what I did as far as I know," Graves said.
Graves finds it unusual for "Game of Thrones" to have any deleted scenes since the scripts are "pretty locked in." For him, it's just a matter of shortening and tightening scenes. Graves confessed they had to tighten up Jon Snow's walk to Mance Rayder's tent.
"We tightened up Jon's walk to Mance Rayder's tent. That was something that got tightened up a little bit because I had shot the hell out of that," Graves revealed.
"Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale was longer compared to other episodes of the HBO drama. It took 66 minutes for the whole episode which troubled "Game of Thrones" director Alex Graves.
In the same interview, Alex Graves shared why he was worried his director's cut ended up 66 minutes long.
"It was 66 minutes long and I was worried about—because I'm really good at getting things down to time and killing my darlings, and I actually turned it in long," Graves stated.
Alex Graves also admitted he was worried HBO would not air the whole 66 minutes of the episode. Two weeks after, he turned in his director's cut and received a call from "Game of Thrones" co-creator and showrunner David Benioff.
Benoiff assured him the whole 66 minutes of the "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale would be aired on HBO.
"I was really happy about that," Graves confessed.
Alex Graves added that so much had happened in the "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale that even the little moments are "gems" to the story and didn't deserve to be cut out just to save time.
According to Variety, "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale, entitled "The Children And The Dead," drew 7.1 million viewers when it aired on Sunday. The rating is up by 32 per cent from last year's season finale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’