Game of Thrones (GOT) Deleted Scenes Not An Option, Season 4 Finale Scenes Trimmed Down Instead
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 5:15 PM EST
HBO's "Game of Thrones" director, Alex Graves, revealed how deleting scenes in the Season 4 finale was not an option since the episode was just trimmed down.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode.
The director's cut of the Season 4 Finale of "Game of Thrones" came out to be 66 minutes long even after the episode was trimmed down. But Alex Graves admitted no scenes were deleted.
In an interview with Collider's Steve Weintraub, "Game of Thrones" director, Alex Graves, assured fans they only shortenened the scenes of the Season 4 finale and not deleted them.
"There weren't any deleted scenes, it was just a matter of tightening stuff. I didn't have any deleted scenes in what I did as far as I know," Graves said.
Graves finds it unusual for "Game of Thrones" to have any deleted scenes since the scripts are "pretty locked in." For him, it's just a matter of shortening and tightening scenes. Graves confessed they had to tighten up Jon Snow's walk to Mance Rayder's tent.
"We tightened up Jon's walk to Mance Rayder's tent. That was something that got tightened up a little bit because I had shot the hell out of that," Graves revealed.
"Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale was longer compared to other episodes of the HBO drama. It took 66 minutes for the whole episode which troubled "Game of Thrones" director Alex Graves.
In the same interview, Alex Graves shared why he was worried his director's cut ended up 66 minutes long.
"It was 66 minutes long and I was worried about—because I'm really good at getting things down to time and killing my darlings, and I actually turned it in long," Graves stated.
Alex Graves also admitted he was worried HBO would not air the whole 66 minutes of the episode. Two weeks after, he turned in his director's cut and received a call from "Game of Thrones" co-creator and showrunner David Benioff.
Benoiff assured him the whole 66 minutes of the "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale would be aired on HBO.
"I was really happy about that," Graves confessed.
Alex Graves added that so much had happened in the "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale that even the little moments are "gems" to the story and didn't deserve to be cut out just to save time.
According to Variety, "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale, entitled "The Children And The Dead," drew 7.1 million viewers when it aired on Sunday. The rating is up by 32 per cent from last year's season finale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?