Game of Thrones (GOT) Deleted Scenes Not An Option, Season 4 Finale Scenes Trimmed Down Instead
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 5:15 PM EST
HBO's "Game of Thrones" director, Alex Graves, revealed how deleting scenes in the Season 4 finale was not an option since the episode was just trimmed down.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode.
The director's cut of the Season 4 Finale of "Game of Thrones" came out to be 66 minutes long even after the episode was trimmed down. But Alex Graves admitted no scenes were deleted.
In an interview with Collider's Steve Weintraub, "Game of Thrones" director, Alex Graves, assured fans they only shortenened the scenes of the Season 4 finale and not deleted them.
"There weren't any deleted scenes, it was just a matter of tightening stuff. I didn't have any deleted scenes in what I did as far as I know," Graves said.
Graves finds it unusual for "Game of Thrones" to have any deleted scenes since the scripts are "pretty locked in." For him, it's just a matter of shortening and tightening scenes. Graves confessed they had to tighten up Jon Snow's walk to Mance Rayder's tent.
"We tightened up Jon's walk to Mance Rayder's tent. That was something that got tightened up a little bit because I had shot the hell out of that," Graves revealed.
"Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale was longer compared to other episodes of the HBO drama. It took 66 minutes for the whole episode which troubled "Game of Thrones" director Alex Graves.
In the same interview, Alex Graves shared why he was worried his director's cut ended up 66 minutes long.
"It was 66 minutes long and I was worried about—because I'm really good at getting things down to time and killing my darlings, and I actually turned it in long," Graves stated.
Alex Graves also admitted he was worried HBO would not air the whole 66 minutes of the episode. Two weeks after, he turned in his director's cut and received a call from "Game of Thrones" co-creator and showrunner David Benioff.
Benoiff assured him the whole 66 minutes of the "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale would be aired on HBO.
"I was really happy about that," Graves confessed.
Alex Graves added that so much had happened in the "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale that even the little moments are "gems" to the story and didn't deserve to be cut out just to save time.
According to Variety, "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale, entitled "The Children And The Dead," drew 7.1 million viewers when it aired on Sunday. The rating is up by 32 per cent from last year's season finale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate