World Cup 2014: England vs. Uruguay – Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup & Tactics, and Injury Report
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 19, 2014 4:15 PM EST
England will try to stay alive in the World Cup, as they take on equally desperate Uruguay in their highly crucial Group D match on Thursday (20:00 BST, ITV) at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
England's national soccer team player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (C) smiles as he and teammates attend their final practice one day before the match against Uruguay, in Sao Paulo June 18, 2014.
What is at stake?
*England and Uruguay will each try to stay relevant in the Group D standings after absorbing devastating losses in their respective opener. England bowed to a stronger Italian squad 2-1 on Mario Balotteli's header, while the Uruguayan's were shell-shocked by the less favorite Costa Rica.
"So, lose and England could fail to qualify for the second stage for the first time since 1958. Despite defeat by Italy, optimism both within the camp and at home, remains high. But as Uruguay also lost their opening game, the pressure is on both sides," according to John Ley of the Telegraph.
Injury & Suspension Report
England: Midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee injury) joined the practice session this week after being cleared to play in the pivotal match with Uruguay.
Uruguay: Defender and caotain Diego Lugano will not play in the game with a knee injury, while striker Luis Suarez hasn't been declared healthy enough to play against England after missing the World Cup opener to Costa Rica.
''He went through a recuperation process knowing that if all went well with this we wouldn't have to discard him from the World Cup,'' Tabarez said via Yahoo Sports. ''This recuperation went well and it's holding well. Since he's come back he's been training very well.
''In the case of whether Luis plays - there is a possibility that he won't be like the Luis Suarez that was the top goal scorer of the Premier League.''
Defender Maxi Periera had a red card against Costa Rica and was suspended to play in the final two group stage games.
Uruguay (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Muslera; Caceres, Lugano, Godin, Pereira; Gargano, Arevalo; Rodriguez, Forlan, Suárez; Cavani.
Test: Suárez (knee).
England (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Hart; Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Gerrard, Wilshere; Welbeck, Rooney, Sterling; Sturridge.
Out: Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee).
BBC Sports soccer analyst Mark Lawrenson backed England to win over Uruguay in their crucial match, and Wayne Rooney could be a difference maker in this highly crucial game.
"I am backing England to win, and I don't think they have got to change too much from their defeat by Italy, although I would play Wayne Rooney in the number 10 position because you want his quality involved in crucial areas," via Lawrenson of BBC News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members