World Cup 2014: England vs. Uruguay – Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup & Tactics, and Injury Report
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 19, 2014 4:15 PM EST
England will try to stay alive in the World Cup, as they take on equally desperate Uruguay in their highly crucial Group D match on Thursday (20:00 BST, ITV) at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
England's national soccer team player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (C) smiles as he and teammates attend their final practice one day before the match against Uruguay, in Sao Paulo June 18, 2014.
What is at stake?
*England and Uruguay will each try to stay relevant in the Group D standings after absorbing devastating losses in their respective opener. England bowed to a stronger Italian squad 2-1 on Mario Balotteli's header, while the Uruguayan's were shell-shocked by the less favorite Costa Rica.
"So, lose and England could fail to qualify for the second stage for the first time since 1958. Despite defeat by Italy, optimism both within the camp and at home, remains high. But as Uruguay also lost their opening game, the pressure is on both sides," according to John Ley of the Telegraph.
Injury & Suspension Report
England: Midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee injury) joined the practice session this week after being cleared to play in the pivotal match with Uruguay.
Uruguay: Defender and caotain Diego Lugano will not play in the game with a knee injury, while striker Luis Suarez hasn't been declared healthy enough to play against England after missing the World Cup opener to Costa Rica.
''He went through a recuperation process knowing that if all went well with this we wouldn't have to discard him from the World Cup,'' Tabarez said via Yahoo Sports. ''This recuperation went well and it's holding well. Since he's come back he's been training very well.
''In the case of whether Luis plays - there is a possibility that he won't be like the Luis Suarez that was the top goal scorer of the Premier League.''
Defender Maxi Periera had a red card against Costa Rica and was suspended to play in the final two group stage games.
Uruguay (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Muslera; Caceres, Lugano, Godin, Pereira; Gargano, Arevalo; Rodriguez, Forlan, Suárez; Cavani.
Test: Suárez (knee).
England (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Hart; Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Gerrard, Wilshere; Welbeck, Rooney, Sterling; Sturridge.
Out: Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee).
BBC Sports soccer analyst Mark Lawrenson backed England to win over Uruguay in their crucial match, and Wayne Rooney could be a difference maker in this highly crucial game.
"I am backing England to win, and I don't think they have got to change too much from their defeat by Italy, although I would play Wayne Rooney in the number 10 position because you want his quality involved in crucial areas," via Lawrenson of BBC News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks