Spain vs. Chile: Twitter Erupts With Reactions After 'Devastating Spanish Exit'
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 19, 2014 4:00 PM EST
The defending champions are out. A new winner for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will soon emerge as Spain was unceremoniously booted out through back-to-back losses in Group B.
The opening match against The Netherlands was a rematch of the 2010 final and the Dutch side was able to exact a crushing revenge with the match finishing at 5-1 in favor of the Oranje. Spain had time to regroup between matches and hopes were high that a win against Chile could bring the champions back into the competition. This did not happen as Chile had other ideas.
Spain's Sergio Busquets reacts after missing a chance to score a goal during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match against Chile at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 18, 2014.
The South Americans had a clear chance to attack almost as soon as the whistle was blown for kickoff and it never looked good for Spain. The match ended 2-0 with the Spaniards well and truly out following in the footsteps of other World Cup title holders France (2002) and Italy (2006), who didn't make it out of the group stage while attempting their defense.
Lamentations poured in as fans expressed their dismay on twitter:
— Jon Sopel (@BBCJonSopel) June 18, 2014
Still can't believe Spain is out. How is that even possible. How is it possible for Xabi Alonso and Iniesta to have a bad game? — Freny (@frenyy10) June 19, 2014
Diego Costa, a Brazilian-born striker who won the La Liga title with Atletico Madrid this season, was also under fire. He had previously played for Brazil in friendly matches before deciding to suit up for Spain in Brazil. Needless to say, Brazilian fans were not happy with him as evidenced by the boos he met at the opening game. Fans also took to Twitter criticizing him:
The ghost of Maracanã is actually destroying Spain, probably because they have a Brazilian traitor playing in the team. #ESPvsCHI — Anup Kaphle (@AnupKaphle) June 18, 2014
Diego Costa’s original passport didn’t die for this. — Iain Macintosh (@iainmacintosh) June 18, 2014
Diego Costa: the rat that joined a sinking ship — Barney Ronay (@barneyronay) June 18, 2014
Other fans opted to make fun of the situation and used humor to at least get a few laughs out of the tragic exit of the defending champions.
Spain are blaming their loss this evening on the weather. Apparently it was 2 Chile. href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spainvschile&src=hash">#Spainvschile — Vickyy (@vicknesh15) June 19, 2014
Not everybody was disappointed. Naturally, Chile also had supporters and there were several happy campers expressing their delight.
As expected, netizens were also quick to express their own theories and solutions on what the Spanish team could have done to avert this tragedy.
first mistake , taking Pique and Xavi out — 1972 (@vsvpstunna) June 19, 2014
Del Bosque biggest mistake is taking Torres to Brazil and not Negredo. David villa need to start the last game — Lim Jin Fu (@Verminator_5) June 19, 2014
In the end, what's done was done and Spain was out. There are three more weeks left in the World Cup and a new champion will be crowned as the whole world watches in anticipation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown