Bindi Irwin’s Grandfather Bob Irwin Not Attending Her 16th Birthday
By Anne Lu | June 19, 2014 2:50 PM EST
Bindi Irwin’s grandfather won’t be coming to her 16th birthday. A new report claims that an old family rift has hindered animal conservationist Bob Irwin from attending his granddaughter’s huge birthday party at the Australia Zoo in July.
On July 24, the Australia Zoo is planning to break the record for the “world’s biggest onesie party” with free admission to the public. This will be in celebration of Bindi’s 16th birthday.
Bindi’s family will naturally be there, including her mum Terri and her 10-year-old brother Robert.
Grandpa Bob won’t attend the celebration, though.
“In actual fact I’ll be in Cape York, so I won’t be there,” he told 9 Stories.
It’s not clear whether or not Bob was invited personally. A spokeswoman for Australia Zoo said that “everyone’s invited” to the party.
According to speculations, Bob, the father of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, perhaps hasn’t seen his grandchildren yet.
In 2010, he revealed that his feud with Terri had prevented him from seeing Bindi and Robert.
“I haven’t heard from them (Bindi and Robert) and it is sad but that is a part of life, I guess,” he had told The Sunday Telegraph then.
Apparently, Bob was upset by the commercial direction Terri was taking the Australia Zoo. He had quit Australia Zoo in 2008 in controversial circumstances, with zoo staff and volunteers claiming he had a falling out with his son’s widow.
That feud went on even after the 74-year-old suffered a heart attack two years later, and his grandkids weren’t able to visit him.
Bob refused to say whether the family rift has been resolved or if Bindi and Robert have visited him in the past years, only saying that he “keeps in contact with family members on a regular basis.”
“I think Terri’s done a great job with those children, she’s had to raise them herself,” he said.
“They are well adjusted children – they have a good background with their dad. Nobody could be more down to earth than Steve was.
“They’ve got a great future ahead of them.”
Steve died in 2006 after a stingray pierced him in the chest while he was filming an underwater documentary.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak – New Villain And Stormtroopers New Look [Spoilers]
- 'Doctor Who' Casting News: 'GOT' Actress Rose Leslie Favoured To Play As 'Clara Oswald'
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display