Bindi Irwin’s Grandfather Bob Irwin Not Attending Her 16th Birthday
By Anne Lu | June 19, 2014 2:50 PM EST
Bindi Irwin’s grandfather won’t be coming to her 16th birthday. A new report claims that an old family rift has hindered animal conservationist Bob Irwin from attending his granddaughter’s huge birthday party at the Australia Zoo in July.
On July 24, the Australia Zoo is planning to break the record for the “world’s biggest onesie party” with free admission to the public. This will be in celebration of Bindi’s 16th birthday.
Bindi’s family will naturally be there, including her mum Terri and her 10-year-old brother Robert.
Grandpa Bob won’t attend the celebration, though.
“In actual fact I’ll be in Cape York, so I won’t be there,” he told 9 Stories.
It’s not clear whether or not Bob was invited personally. A spokeswoman for Australia Zoo said that “everyone’s invited” to the party.
According to speculations, Bob, the father of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, perhaps hasn’t seen his grandchildren yet.
In 2010, he revealed that his feud with Terri had prevented him from seeing Bindi and Robert.
“I haven’t heard from them (Bindi and Robert) and it is sad but that is a part of life, I guess,” he had told The Sunday Telegraph then.
Apparently, Bob was upset by the commercial direction Terri was taking the Australia Zoo. He had quit Australia Zoo in 2008 in controversial circumstances, with zoo staff and volunteers claiming he had a falling out with his son’s widow.
That feud went on even after the 74-year-old suffered a heart attack two years later, and his grandkids weren’t able to visit him.
Bob refused to say whether the family rift has been resolved or if Bindi and Robert have visited him in the past years, only saying that he “keeps in contact with family members on a regular basis.”
“I think Terri’s done a great job with those children, she’s had to raise them herself,” he said.
“They are well adjusted children – they have a good background with their dad. Nobody could be more down to earth than Steve was.
“They’ve got a great future ahead of them.”
Steve died in 2006 after a stingray pierced him in the chest while he was filming an underwater documentary.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles