World Cup 2014 Betting Odds Update: Brazil, Argentina and Germany Favoured to Win as Defending Champions Spain Get the Boot
By James Patrick Quizon | June 19, 2014 2:39 PM EST
As the defending champions got booted out very early in the 2014 World Cup, three teams have come out as the favourites at this point of the tournament: welcome, Brazil, Argentina and Germany, they are now the frontrunners according to most sportsbooks.
Spain's Sergio Busquets reacts after missing a chance to score a goal during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match against Chile at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 18, 2014.
Brazil, behind a voracious home crowd, took their first win off Croatia with a 3-1 victory. They settled for a draw against an inspired Mexican squad but remain the top favourite to win Group A.
Seleção is priced at 4.33 to win the cup but will need a win or draw with the lowly Cameroonians in their last match in the group stage to avoid complications in advancing to the next round.
La Albiceleste, which is pegged at 4.5 to go all the way to the title, beat Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2-1 in their opening match courtesy of a beautiful Lionel Messi goal, considered one of the best so far in the tournament.
The final team considered as the top favourites is Germany, which defeated the supposedly mighty Portugal in their opener, 4-0. The dominating victory confirmed their status as one of the betting odds favourites and Die Mannschaft is now priced at 5.0 to win it all in Brazil.
The Germans take on Ghana and the United States in their next two matches and will most likely advance from and top Group G barring any upsets…
But as what the defending champions learned, any team can beat any one in any World Cup.
Teams like the Netherlands (12.00), Italy (17.00) and France (19.00) have the most value with their respective betting lines (and payout) and are banking for more upsets moving forward.
While Belgium (21.00), slayer-of-Spaniards Chile (23.00) and England (26.00) are deep underdogs; it is within the realm of possibility that they pull-off those upsets to claim the ultimate soccer glory in Brazil.
And since the WC is the time for nationalistic fervor, fans can continue proving their passion for their respective flags… like betting on Greece, Ecuador or Nigeria (all priced at 501.00) or if they have the guts (and deep pockets) Iran (1501.00) and Honduras (2001.00).
Every $100 bet on those teams earn $5,010, $15,010 and $20,010 payouts, respectively.
After the fall of Spain happened, maybe it’s time for the underdogs to rule the 2014 World Cup.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers