New Android Root App Released by iPhone and PS3 Jailbreaker
By Naveena Joy | June 19, 2014 2:13 PM EST
The owners of iOS device and Sony Playstation 3 when looking for ways to jailbreak their devices might be familiar with the name George Hotz. He is also known as XDA Recognized Developer, Geohot, a New Jersey based hacker who became popular for his work in jailbreaking and hacking the above mentioned devices.
This time, Geohot recently released his own root tool on XDA developers that would work on almost all the Android handsets, including the Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S5 versions which till now was hard to break.
The root tool has been named Towelroot that exploits the Linux Kernel build that's older than June 3 - Galaxy S4 Active, the Nexus 5 and AT&T and Verizon variants of the Galaxy Note 3.
Geohot has apparently exploited a vulnerability that builds around Linux Kernel CVE-2014-3153, which was recently discovered by hacker Pinkie Pie, and it involves an issue in the Futex subsystem that in turn allows for privilege escalation. Though it was released exclusively for the Verizon Galaxy S5, the root exploit will rationally be compatible with almost every device with an unpatched kernel, that is, at this point of time nearly every device which does not run a recent build of a custom ROM with a patched kernel.
The owner of a Verizon Galaxy S5 or any other previously unrooted device, if would like to get on the root action, initially they should reach over to the original thread and try out the towelroot. While rooting the device, there is some background music available in the Geohot's SoundCloud to listen to a song released 10 days before advertising Towelroot.
Surprisingly, many Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S5 users were waiting for a tool to root these handsets, with a root bounty having topped $18,000 in late May. With the announcement of Geohot's Towelroot, a lot of interest on XDA developers has been generated and the forum thread has crossed over 135 pages since its release.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ 1.17 Update May Feature Hydra and Army DLC As New Verified Jobs Emerge
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman