Assassin’s Creed Unity and Comet: A Look Inside Next-Gen Stealth Gaming and Possible Announcements Coming
By Gel Galang | June 19, 2014 1:04 PM EST
As the first "Assassin's Creed" game coming to the next-gen consoles, "Assassin's Creed Unity" has a lot of new things to offer fans of the long-standing franchise from Ubisoft.
Several new action video games are promoted at the Ubisoft booth at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 10, 2014. REUTERS/Kevork Djansezian
And according to the developer, it's looking at quite the major overhaul, more than just having a new hero and a new setting where the stealth will be taking place.
Over at the Ubisoft Blog, the developer has detailed what will be added to the new game, starting with its basic foundation: the setting, France, which is designed to be the most realistic setting of all of the franchise's environments. Thanks to the next-gen hardware capabilities, up to 5,000 characters can be displayed at one time onscreen, jacking up the stealth factor even more.
Exploration has become even expansive and encompassing, as all the doors and windows can be opened in "Assassin's Creed Unity" throughout the Parisian ground. There's also a hint of a multiplayer by way of the "Social Club," which touches on the Templars.
"Assassin's Creed Unity" has also been created to ensure that its titular fighting style--stealth--is given a bigger role in the gameplay. Escape routes, ducking into buildings, and basic hiding skills will now be of much more importance, as well as the fact that ambush attacks are now highlighted given the number of unsuspecting opponents.
In a hands-on by PC World, there is a mention of the lack of chaining one-hit kills, which will make the fighting even more of a task and more dangerous, pushing forward the idea of stealth and escape on the players, and pushing face-to-face combat farther away from the main event.
For those who favor the multiplayer mode, "Assassin's Creed Unity" still has the four-player co-op, which introduces a number of side stories and missions when you explore the world of Paris during the French Revolution with Ubisoft's next-gen stealth title.
"Assassin's Creed Comet" Hinted by Ubisoft
Back during E3 2014, Ubisoft has showcased "Assassin's Creed Unity" in all its next-gen glory, but has also confirmed that the title will not be coming to the current-gen consoles, PS3 and Xbox 360.
"No, no. 'Assassin's Creed Unity' is a next-gen game," said Tony Key, Ubisoft senior VP of sales and marketing, during an interview with GameSpot.
In addition, Key has also mentioned plans for current-gen platforms, particularly because they do acknowledge the wide range of Assassin's Creed fans who are still enjoying their consoles. However, all he has been able to say is, "We hope to be able to talk to them about that soon."
This could have been the rumoured "Assassin's Creed Comet," supposedly the other "Assassin's Creed" game in development for this year.
Another one from Ubisoft, president Yves Guillemot, has hinted at the current-gen game. "We will not leave the guys that have a PS3 or 360 with nothing, so at one point you will hear about this," he said in an interview with Gamer Headlines. Again, there are no concrete details for the game yet, but at least Ubisoft has not denied the possibility of an "Assassin's Creed" current-gen game.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Destiny News: Burning Questions Answered, New Info for Game Spotted and New Artwork Showcased
- Sony Xperia T3 vs. HTC Desire 816 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools