Assassin’s Creed Unity and Comet: A Look Inside Next-Gen Stealth Gaming and Possible Announcements Coming
By Gel Galang | June 19, 2014 1:04 PM EST
As the first "Assassin's Creed" game coming to the next-gen consoles, "Assassin's Creed Unity" has a lot of new things to offer fans of the long-standing franchise from Ubisoft.
Several new action video games are promoted at the Ubisoft booth at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 10, 2014. REUTERS/Kevork Djansezian
And according to the developer, it's looking at quite the major overhaul, more than just having a new hero and a new setting where the stealth will be taking place.
Over at the Ubisoft Blog, the developer has detailed what will be added to the new game, starting with its basic foundation: the setting, France, which is designed to be the most realistic setting of all of the franchise's environments. Thanks to the next-gen hardware capabilities, up to 5,000 characters can be displayed at one time onscreen, jacking up the stealth factor even more.
Exploration has become even expansive and encompassing, as all the doors and windows can be opened in "Assassin's Creed Unity" throughout the Parisian ground. There's also a hint of a multiplayer by way of the "Social Club," which touches on the Templars.
"Assassin's Creed Unity" has also been created to ensure that its titular fighting style--stealth--is given a bigger role in the gameplay. Escape routes, ducking into buildings, and basic hiding skills will now be of much more importance, as well as the fact that ambush attacks are now highlighted given the number of unsuspecting opponents.
In a hands-on by PC World, there is a mention of the lack of chaining one-hit kills, which will make the fighting even more of a task and more dangerous, pushing forward the idea of stealth and escape on the players, and pushing face-to-face combat farther away from the main event.
For those who favor the multiplayer mode, "Assassin's Creed Unity" still has the four-player co-op, which introduces a number of side stories and missions when you explore the world of Paris during the French Revolution with Ubisoft's next-gen stealth title.
"Assassin's Creed Comet" Hinted by Ubisoft
Back during E3 2014, Ubisoft has showcased "Assassin's Creed Unity" in all its next-gen glory, but has also confirmed that the title will not be coming to the current-gen consoles, PS3 and Xbox 360.
"No, no. 'Assassin's Creed Unity' is a next-gen game," said Tony Key, Ubisoft senior VP of sales and marketing, during an interview with GameSpot.
In addition, Key has also mentioned plans for current-gen platforms, particularly because they do acknowledge the wide range of Assassin's Creed fans who are still enjoying their consoles. However, all he has been able to say is, "We hope to be able to talk to them about that soon."
This could have been the rumoured "Assassin's Creed Comet," supposedly the other "Assassin's Creed" game in development for this year.
Another one from Ubisoft, president Yves Guillemot, has hinted at the current-gen game. "We will not leave the guys that have a PS3 or 360 with nothing, so at one point you will hear about this," he said in an interview with Gamer Headlines. Again, there are no concrete details for the game yet, but at least Ubisoft has not denied the possibility of an "Assassin's Creed" current-gen game.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Vodafone Australia Software Update Weekly Wrap For Nov. 20: Blackberry, HTC, Huawei, Samsung And Sony
- HTC One M9: Speculations on Release Date, Specs And Features
- RiAus TV: Australia’s First Science Channel Launched
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance