Cristiano Ronaldo's Teammate Assures Fans of Star Player's Health
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 19, 2014 1:03 PM EST
A surprising team against a squad hoping to cling on to its superstar's knee is up next in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal hope to bounce back from the humiliating loss to Germany facing the U.S. in the crucial Group G clash in the World Cup.
Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo has his leg checked by team staff during an open training session in Campinas, June 18, 2014. Portugal is preparing to play the USA for Group G of the 2014 World Cup on June 22.
A Portugal teammate allayed fears Wednesday on the health of Superstar Striker Ronaldo by declaring that the world player is fit and ready to go for the match-up.
''Cristiano is 100 percent fit to play. Every match, if he starts to play, it is because he is fit to play, he's ready to play,'' Backup Goalkeeper Beto insisted.
''He loves football but his body is the most important thing for him ... so if he starts a match he is ready, he is fit, so I don't think that is a problem.''
Yahoo! Sports reported Ronaldo's troublesome knee has been in the spotlight during the tournament, even needing an ice pack during the day's earlier training session. His subdued performance during the 4-0 defeat in the hands of Germany has raised concerns on his ability to lift his team and carry much of the scoring.
The player's tendinitis (inflammation of the knee tendon) has left him frustrated coupled with the continued media coverage of his health, prompting Beto to say that the 29-year-old Real Madrid forward was "sick of reading things about him that are not true."
The loss against Germany made the upcoming match with the U.S. a must-win for Portugal. Beto relayed that Portugal is confident of its chances to take all three points in Manaus, where the match will be held.
''The best version of Portugal can beat U.S.,'' he said.
''We respect the U.S. It is a very good team. They grew up the last years and so we got to respect them. But we believe in ourselves.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June