Cristiano Ronaldo's Teammate Assures Fans of Star Player's Health
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 19, 2014 1:03 PM EST
A surprising team against a squad hoping to cling on to its superstar's knee is up next in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal hope to bounce back from the humiliating loss to Germany facing the U.S. in the crucial Group G clash in the World Cup.
Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo has his leg checked by team staff during an open training session in Campinas, June 18, 2014. Portugal is preparing to play the USA for Group G of the 2014 World Cup on June 22.
A Portugal teammate allayed fears Wednesday on the health of Superstar Striker Ronaldo by declaring that the world player is fit and ready to go for the match-up.
''Cristiano is 100 percent fit to play. Every match, if he starts to play, it is because he is fit to play, he's ready to play,'' Backup Goalkeeper Beto insisted.
''He loves football but his body is the most important thing for him ... so if he starts a match he is ready, he is fit, so I don't think that is a problem.''
Yahoo! Sports reported Ronaldo's troublesome knee has been in the spotlight during the tournament, even needing an ice pack during the day's earlier training session. His subdued performance during the 4-0 defeat in the hands of Germany has raised concerns on his ability to lift his team and carry much of the scoring.
The player's tendinitis (inflammation of the knee tendon) has left him frustrated coupled with the continued media coverage of his health, prompting Beto to say that the 29-year-old Real Madrid forward was "sick of reading things about him that are not true."
The loss against Germany made the upcoming match with the U.S. a must-win for Portugal. Beto relayed that Portugal is confident of its chances to take all three points in Manaus, where the match will be held.
''The best version of Portugal can beat U.S.,'' he said.
''We respect the U.S. It is a very good team. They grew up the last years and so we got to respect them. But we believe in ourselves.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS