Cristiano Ronaldo's Teammate Assures Fans of Star Player's Health
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 19, 2014 1:03 PM EST
A surprising team against a squad hoping to cling on to its superstar's knee is up next in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal hope to bounce back from the humiliating loss to Germany facing the U.S. in the crucial Group G clash in the World Cup.
Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo has his leg checked by team staff during an open training session in Campinas, June 18, 2014. Portugal is preparing to play the USA for Group G of the 2014 World Cup on June 22.
A Portugal teammate allayed fears Wednesday on the health of Superstar Striker Ronaldo by declaring that the world player is fit and ready to go for the match-up.
''Cristiano is 100 percent fit to play. Every match, if he starts to play, it is because he is fit to play, he's ready to play,'' Backup Goalkeeper Beto insisted.
''He loves football but his body is the most important thing for him ... so if he starts a match he is ready, he is fit, so I don't think that is a problem.''
Yahoo! Sports reported Ronaldo's troublesome knee has been in the spotlight during the tournament, even needing an ice pack during the day's earlier training session. His subdued performance during the 4-0 defeat in the hands of Germany has raised concerns on his ability to lift his team and carry much of the scoring.
The player's tendinitis (inflammation of the knee tendon) has left him frustrated coupled with the continued media coverage of his health, prompting Beto to say that the 29-year-old Real Madrid forward was "sick of reading things about him that are not true."
The loss against Germany made the upcoming match with the U.S. a must-win for Portugal. Beto relayed that Portugal is confident of its chances to take all three points in Manaus, where the match will be held.
''The best version of Portugal can beat U.S.,'' he said.
''We respect the U.S. It is a very good team. They grew up the last years and so we got to respect them. But we believe in ourselves.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report