Seattle Seahawks' Sherman Figures in Altercation with Teammates
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 19, 2014 11:47 AM EST
The intensity is showing this early for the Super Bowl defending champions.
May 21, 2014; Washington, DC, USA; (L-R) Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, and Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson present President Barack Obama with an honorary "12th Man Flag" at a ceremony honoring the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks in the East Room at The White House.
Seahawks receiver Phil Bates came to blows with cornerback Richard Sherman during the team's mini-camp practice last Wednesday. Both players landed blows to the head but neither was severely injured.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the scuffle was triggered one play earlier when receiver Bryan Walters made a diving catch on the sidelines while being chased by safety Earl Thomas. Thomas landed on top of Walters after the save, injuring his left shoulder. Receiver Doug Baldwin was clearly agitated believing that Thomas landed on Walters in the no-tackling scrimmage.
On the ensuing play, Sherman was press covering Bates. Both players grabbed each other at the snap and neither man appeared to let go of their handles. Sherman snapped and ripped Bate's helmet, punches were thrown before Sherman also lost his helmet.
After that is was a free for all. Receiver Percy Harvin got into the mix pushing Herman as everyone came off the sidelines to try to break up the commotion. Running back Marshawn Lynch also ran in to pull Harvin back.
When cooler heads prevailed, Seahawck coach Pete Carroll halted practice and brought everyone to the middle of the field.
"He just told us we needed to regain our focus and remember why we're out here,'' middle linebacker Bobby Wagner said. "Things got a little out of hand, but it was a lot of fun. I loved it. It felt like a game out there. And I felt like the defense won today."
Still, things have not totally cooled off. Before the end of the session, Baldwin and Thomas had another verbal altercation and had to be separated from each other. Thomas yelled at Baldwin to take his helmet off telling Thomas: "You need to have your [butt] kicked."
"Sometimes you say things you don't really mean," Thomas said afterward. "But we're all men out there. In the end, we're all teammates."
In the end, the atmosphere became normal and Bates and Sherman hashed their sides on the reasons behind the altercation. Harvin, who was a part in only a few plays, approached the two players and was seen laughing with Sherman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage