Seattle Seahawks' Sherman Figures in Altercation with Teammates
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 19, 2014 11:47 AM EST
The intensity is showing this early for the Super Bowl defending champions.
May 21, 2014; Washington, DC, USA; (L-R) Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, and Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson present President Barack Obama with an honorary "12th Man Flag" at a ceremony honoring the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks in the East Room at The White House.
Seahawks receiver Phil Bates came to blows with cornerback Richard Sherman during the team's mini-camp practice last Wednesday. Both players landed blows to the head but neither was severely injured.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the scuffle was triggered one play earlier when receiver Bryan Walters made a diving catch on the sidelines while being chased by safety Earl Thomas. Thomas landed on top of Walters after the save, injuring his left shoulder. Receiver Doug Baldwin was clearly agitated believing that Thomas landed on Walters in the no-tackling scrimmage.
On the ensuing play, Sherman was press covering Bates. Both players grabbed each other at the snap and neither man appeared to let go of their handles. Sherman snapped and ripped Bate's helmet, punches were thrown before Sherman also lost his helmet.
After that is was a free for all. Receiver Percy Harvin got into the mix pushing Herman as everyone came off the sidelines to try to break up the commotion. Running back Marshawn Lynch also ran in to pull Harvin back.
When cooler heads prevailed, Seahawck coach Pete Carroll halted practice and brought everyone to the middle of the field.
"He just told us we needed to regain our focus and remember why we're out here,'' middle linebacker Bobby Wagner said. "Things got a little out of hand, but it was a lot of fun. I loved it. It felt like a game out there. And I felt like the defense won today."
Still, things have not totally cooled off. Before the end of the session, Baldwin and Thomas had another verbal altercation and had to be separated from each other. Thomas yelled at Baldwin to take his helmet off telling Thomas: "You need to have your [butt] kicked."
"Sometimes you say things you don't really mean," Thomas said afterward. "But we're all men out there. In the end, we're all teammates."
In the end, the atmosphere became normal and Bates and Sherman hashed their sides on the reasons behind the altercation. Harvin, who was a part in only a few plays, approached the two players and was seen laughing with Sherman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date