Seattle Seahawks' Sherman Figures in Altercation with Teammates
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 19, 2014 11:47 AM EST
The intensity is showing this early for the Super Bowl defending champions.
May 21, 2014; Washington, DC, USA; (L-R) Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, and Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson present President Barack Obama with an honorary "12th Man Flag" at a ceremony honoring the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks in the East Room at The White House.
Seahawks receiver Phil Bates came to blows with cornerback Richard Sherman during the team's mini-camp practice last Wednesday. Both players landed blows to the head but neither was severely injured.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the scuffle was triggered one play earlier when receiver Bryan Walters made a diving catch on the sidelines while being chased by safety Earl Thomas. Thomas landed on top of Walters after the save, injuring his left shoulder. Receiver Doug Baldwin was clearly agitated believing that Thomas landed on Walters in the no-tackling scrimmage.
On the ensuing play, Sherman was press covering Bates. Both players grabbed each other at the snap and neither man appeared to let go of their handles. Sherman snapped and ripped Bate's helmet, punches were thrown before Sherman also lost his helmet.
After that is was a free for all. Receiver Percy Harvin got into the mix pushing Herman as everyone came off the sidelines to try to break up the commotion. Running back Marshawn Lynch also ran in to pull Harvin back.
When cooler heads prevailed, Seahawck coach Pete Carroll halted practice and brought everyone to the middle of the field.
"He just told us we needed to regain our focus and remember why we're out here,'' middle linebacker Bobby Wagner said. "Things got a little out of hand, but it was a lot of fun. I loved it. It felt like a game out there. And I felt like the defense won today."
Still, things have not totally cooled off. Before the end of the session, Baldwin and Thomas had another verbal altercation and had to be separated from each other. Thomas yelled at Baldwin to take his helmet off telling Thomas: "You need to have your [butt] kicked."
"Sometimes you say things you don't really mean," Thomas said afterward. "But we're all men out there. In the end, we're all teammates."
In the end, the atmosphere became normal and Bates and Sherman hashed their sides on the reasons behind the altercation. Harvin, who was a part in only a few plays, approached the two players and was seen laughing with Sherman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build