X-Men: Apocalypse Occurs 10 Years After Days of Future Past
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 10:59 AM EST
The much anticipated sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" is set to take place ten years after the events of "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
"X-Men: First Class happened in 1962 and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" in 1973. Recently, movie producer and writer Simon Kinberg has revealed that the sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" takes place a decade (1983) after "Days of Future Past."
According to Daily Mail, Kinberg revealed this announcement during a podcast Q& A with Jeff Goldsmith when Kinberg talked about "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
The exact date of the setting in the "X-Men" movie franchise is relevant to the film's plotlines.
In "X-Men: Days of Future Past" the scene of the Cuban Missile Crisis, where it included various scenes set at the Paris Peace Accords, was the climax of the story. With this climax, one would speculate that 'X-Men: Apocalypse" would continue from there.
But with a setting in 1983, numerous events could be used for its plotline according to Indiewire. "X-Men: Apocalypse" could feature scenes during the ramp up of the Cold War or scenes of the Korean plane being shot down by the Soviet air force, killing a U.S. congressman and everyone on board.
Whatever the plotline would be, it has to link to the main focus of "X-Men: Apocalypse," which is the return of the villain Apocalypse. According to Indiewire, Apocalypse is an ancient mutant with reality-altering powers as shown on the post-credit scenes of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" (video below).
In order to awaken the old mutant Apocalypse, some earth-shattering events need to happen in the intervening ten years.
Simon Kinberg had previously stated that "X-Men: Apocalypse" will be a "disaster movie." If his statement is taken literally, then the sequel could include scenes of an earthquake or the tsunami in Japan that killed over a hundred people. Or it could also feature scenes of the devastations caused by Hurricane Alicia in Texas which left twenty-two people dead.
However "X-Men: Apocalypse" could also use the arrest of Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie in Bolivia as its plot point if it was to stick closer to "X-Men: First Class."
With its year set forward to 1983, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Professor X (James McAvoy) will be 20 years older than when they first appeared in "X-Men: First Class." This would suggest an aging makeover for their scenes in "X-Men: Apocalypse."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon