X-Men: Apocalypse Occurs 10 Years After Days of Future Past
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 10:59 AM EST
The much anticipated sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" is set to take place ten years after the events of "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
"X-Men: First Class happened in 1962 and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" in 1973. Recently, movie producer and writer Simon Kinberg has revealed that the sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" takes place a decade (1983) after "Days of Future Past."
According to Daily Mail, Kinberg revealed this announcement during a podcast Q& A with Jeff Goldsmith when Kinberg talked about "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
The exact date of the setting in the "X-Men" movie franchise is relevant to the film's plotlines.
In "X-Men: Days of Future Past" the scene of the Cuban Missile Crisis, where it included various scenes set at the Paris Peace Accords, was the climax of the story. With this climax, one would speculate that 'X-Men: Apocalypse" would continue from there.
But with a setting in 1983, numerous events could be used for its plotline according to Indiewire. "X-Men: Apocalypse" could feature scenes during the ramp up of the Cold War or scenes of the Korean plane being shot down by the Soviet air force, killing a U.S. congressman and everyone on board.
Whatever the plotline would be, it has to link to the main focus of "X-Men: Apocalypse," which is the return of the villain Apocalypse. According to Indiewire, Apocalypse is an ancient mutant with reality-altering powers as shown on the post-credit scenes of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" (video below).
In order to awaken the old mutant Apocalypse, some earth-shattering events need to happen in the intervening ten years.
Simon Kinberg had previously stated that "X-Men: Apocalypse" will be a "disaster movie." If his statement is taken literally, then the sequel could include scenes of an earthquake or the tsunami in Japan that killed over a hundred people. Or it could also feature scenes of the devastations caused by Hurricane Alicia in Texas which left twenty-two people dead.
However "X-Men: Apocalypse" could also use the arrest of Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie in Bolivia as its plot point if it was to stick closer to "X-Men: First Class."
With its year set forward to 1983, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Professor X (James McAvoy) will be 20 years older than when they first appeared in "X-Men: First Class." This would suggest an aging makeover for their scenes in "X-Men: Apocalypse."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?