X-Men: Apocalypse Occurs 10 Years After Days of Future Past
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 10:59 AM EST
The much anticipated sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" is set to take place ten years after the events of "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
"X-Men: First Class happened in 1962 and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" in 1973. Recently, movie producer and writer Simon Kinberg has revealed that the sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" takes place a decade (1983) after "Days of Future Past."
According to Daily Mail, Kinberg revealed this announcement during a podcast Q& A with Jeff Goldsmith when Kinberg talked about "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
The exact date of the setting in the "X-Men" movie franchise is relevant to the film's plotlines.
In "X-Men: Days of Future Past" the scene of the Cuban Missile Crisis, where it included various scenes set at the Paris Peace Accords, was the climax of the story. With this climax, one would speculate that 'X-Men: Apocalypse" would continue from there.
But with a setting in 1983, numerous events could be used for its plotline according to Indiewire. "X-Men: Apocalypse" could feature scenes during the ramp up of the Cold War or scenes of the Korean plane being shot down by the Soviet air force, killing a U.S. congressman and everyone on board.
Whatever the plotline would be, it has to link to the main focus of "X-Men: Apocalypse," which is the return of the villain Apocalypse. According to Indiewire, Apocalypse is an ancient mutant with reality-altering powers as shown on the post-credit scenes of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" (video below).
In order to awaken the old mutant Apocalypse, some earth-shattering events need to happen in the intervening ten years.
Simon Kinberg had previously stated that "X-Men: Apocalypse" will be a "disaster movie." If his statement is taken literally, then the sequel could include scenes of an earthquake or the tsunami in Japan that killed over a hundred people. Or it could also feature scenes of the devastations caused by Hurricane Alicia in Texas which left twenty-two people dead.
However "X-Men: Apocalypse" could also use the arrest of Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie in Bolivia as its plot point if it was to stick closer to "X-Men: First Class."
With its year set forward to 1983, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Professor X (James McAvoy) will be 20 years older than when they first appeared in "X-Men: First Class." This would suggest an aging makeover for their scenes in "X-Men: Apocalypse."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6