X-Men: Apocalypse Occurs 10 Years After Days of Future Past
By Tanya Diente | June 19, 2014 10:59 AM EST
The much anticipated sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" is set to take place ten years after the events of "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
"X-Men: First Class happened in 1962 and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" in 1973. Recently, movie producer and writer Simon Kinberg has revealed that the sequel "X-Men: Apocalypse" takes place a decade (1983) after "Days of Future Past."
According to Daily Mail, Kinberg revealed this announcement during a podcast Q& A with Jeff Goldsmith when Kinberg talked about "X-Men: Days of Future Past."
The exact date of the setting in the "X-Men" movie franchise is relevant to the film's plotlines.
In "X-Men: Days of Future Past" the scene of the Cuban Missile Crisis, where it included various scenes set at the Paris Peace Accords, was the climax of the story. With this climax, one would speculate that 'X-Men: Apocalypse" would continue from there.
But with a setting in 1983, numerous events could be used for its plotline according to Indiewire. "X-Men: Apocalypse" could feature scenes during the ramp up of the Cold War or scenes of the Korean plane being shot down by the Soviet air force, killing a U.S. congressman and everyone on board.
Whatever the plotline would be, it has to link to the main focus of "X-Men: Apocalypse," which is the return of the villain Apocalypse. According to Indiewire, Apocalypse is an ancient mutant with reality-altering powers as shown on the post-credit scenes of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" (video below).
In order to awaken the old mutant Apocalypse, some earth-shattering events need to happen in the intervening ten years.
Simon Kinberg had previously stated that "X-Men: Apocalypse" will be a "disaster movie." If his statement is taken literally, then the sequel could include scenes of an earthquake or the tsunami in Japan that killed over a hundred people. Or it could also feature scenes of the devastations caused by Hurricane Alicia in Texas which left twenty-two people dead.
However "X-Men: Apocalypse" could also use the arrest of Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie in Bolivia as its plot point if it was to stick closer to "X-Men: First Class."
With its year set forward to 1983, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Professor X (James McAvoy) will be 20 years older than when they first appeared in "X-Men: First Class." This would suggest an aging makeover for their scenes in "X-Men: Apocalypse."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports