World Cup Injury Update: England’s Oxlade-Chamberlain Still Out vs. Uruguay
By James Patrick Quizon | June 19, 2014 10:47 AM EST
England will be facing Uruguay once again without Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in a crucial match in Group D that could very well decide the teams’ fate in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
England's national soccer team player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (C) smiles as he and teammates attend their final practice one day before the match against Uruguay, in Sao Paulo June 18, 2014.
Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the Saturday’s opener against Italy because of a knee injury and will be out again in for the Three Lions versus La Celeste on Thursday.
He suffered the injury in a friendly match against Ecuador last June 4.
“He’s not in contention for tomorrow, but he will take part in the next full training session,” promised England manager Roy Hodgson via SBS.COM. "Fortunately for us, his injury has responded very well to treatment."
After the date with Uruguay on Thursday, England takes on Costa Rica in their final match in the group stages.
"It would be much better if he uses the four days after this game and before the Costa Rica game to train with the team," added Hodgson said of Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has had 3 goals in 15 caps for the national team.
England lost to Italy, 2-1 while Uruguay fell to Costa Rica, 3-1 in their opening matches. A loss Wednesday will give either team the boot from this tournament.
No other injuries were reported for England hours before the match against Uruguay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar