World Cup Injury Update: England’s Oxlade-Chamberlain Still Out vs. Uruguay
By James Patrick Quizon | June 19, 2014 10:47 AM EST
England will be facing Uruguay once again without Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in a crucial match in Group D that could very well decide the teams’ fate in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
England's national soccer team player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (C) smiles as he and teammates attend their final practice one day before the match against Uruguay, in Sao Paulo June 18, 2014.
Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the Saturday’s opener against Italy because of a knee injury and will be out again in for the Three Lions versus La Celeste on Thursday.
He suffered the injury in a friendly match against Ecuador last June 4.
“He’s not in contention for tomorrow, but he will take part in the next full training session,” promised England manager Roy Hodgson via SBS.COM. "Fortunately for us, his injury has responded very well to treatment."
After the date with Uruguay on Thursday, England takes on Costa Rica in their final match in the group stages.
"It would be much better if he uses the four days after this game and before the Costa Rica game to train with the team," added Hodgson said of Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has had 3 goals in 15 caps for the national team.
England lost to Italy, 2-1 while Uruguay fell to Costa Rica, 3-1 in their opening matches. A loss Wednesday will give either team the boot from this tournament.
No other injuries were reported for England hours before the match against Uruguay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide