World Cup Injury Update: England’s Oxlade-Chamberlain Still Out vs. Uruguay
By James Patrick Quizon | June 19, 2014 10:47 AM EST
England will be facing Uruguay once again without Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in a crucial match in Group D that could very well decide the teams’ fate in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
England's national soccer team player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (C) smiles as he and teammates attend their final practice one day before the match against Uruguay, in Sao Paulo June 18, 2014.
Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the Saturday’s opener against Italy because of a knee injury and will be out again in for the Three Lions versus La Celeste on Thursday.
He suffered the injury in a friendly match against Ecuador last June 4.
“He’s not in contention for tomorrow, but he will take part in the next full training session,” promised England manager Roy Hodgson via SBS.COM. "Fortunately for us, his injury has responded very well to treatment."
After the date with Uruguay on Thursday, England takes on Costa Rica in their final match in the group stages.
"It would be much better if he uses the four days after this game and before the Costa Rica game to train with the team," added Hodgson said of Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has had 3 goals in 15 caps for the national team.
England lost to Italy, 2-1 while Uruguay fell to Costa Rica, 3-1 in their opening matches. A loss Wednesday will give either team the boot from this tournament.
No other injuries were reported for England hours before the match against Uruguay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June