FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #31 Belgium vs. Russia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 19, 2014 9:36 AM EST
Belgium 1 Russia 0
Belgium's Romelu Lukaku (C) fights for the ball with Algeria's Nabil Bentaleb (L-R), Saphir Taider and Madjid Bougherra during their 2014 World Cup Group H soccer match at the Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte June 17, 2014.
The thirty first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Belgium and Russia. The Group H match should be interesting as Belgium will try to ensure its spot in the "group of 16" by winning this match. Russia, on the other hand, must not lose this match as it has only 1 point so far. If Belgium loses this match, the table will be wide open.
Belgium: Belgium started the tournament as the favourite to top Group H. However, it faced a tough challenge in its opening match against a comparatively weaker team Algeria. This match showed once again that it would be unwise to underestimate the "so-called" weaker teams. Belgium conceded a goal in the first half and looked rather clueless about how to come back in the game. Belgium manager Marc Wilmots had to talk with his young players to life their spirits. Belgium eventually went on to win the match 2-1 but it showed enough vulnerability to be scored against.
Russia: It is extremely important for Russia to win this match. If it wins this match it will have 4 points, 1 of which it got from the match against Korea Republic. It will leave the option open for Russia to finish on top of the table. However, if it loses this match, it can only finish with maximum 4 points at best (only if it wins against Algeria). That means that Russia, with 4 points, will possibly finish second. That means Russia will have to face the mighty Germans in the next round, which look strong enough to finish first in Group G. Russia was denied victory by Korea Republic. It did not perform as well as it was expected to. In fact, Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev made a blunder when the ball slipped off his gloves and ended up in the net.
Head to Head
These two teams played 8 times against each other before. Belgium won 3 times, Russia 4 and 1 ended in a draw. There were 22 goals scored. Russia scored 12 of those, Belgium 10.
Belgium: Romelu Lukaku, Marouane Fellaini and Dries Mertens
Russia: Alexander Kerzhakov, Aleksandr Kokorin and Igor Akinfeev
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 22, which means it is 2 am on June 23 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Maracanã - Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho in Rio De Janeiro.
This will be a highly competitive match which will probably decide the top two positions in Group H. Belgium will turn out to be slightly better than its opponent and win it 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert