FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #31 Belgium vs. Russia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 19, 2014 9:36 AM EST
Belgium 1 Russia 0
Belgium's Romelu Lukaku (C) fights for the ball with Algeria's Nabil Bentaleb (L-R), Saphir Taider and Madjid Bougherra during their 2014 World Cup Group H soccer match at the Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte June 17, 2014.
The thirty first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Belgium and Russia. The Group H match should be interesting as Belgium will try to ensure its spot in the "group of 16" by winning this match. Russia, on the other hand, must not lose this match as it has only 1 point so far. If Belgium loses this match, the table will be wide open.
Belgium: Belgium started the tournament as the favourite to top Group H. However, it faced a tough challenge in its opening match against a comparatively weaker team Algeria. This match showed once again that it would be unwise to underestimate the "so-called" weaker teams. Belgium conceded a goal in the first half and looked rather clueless about how to come back in the game. Belgium manager Marc Wilmots had to talk with his young players to life their spirits. Belgium eventually went on to win the match 2-1 but it showed enough vulnerability to be scored against.
Russia: It is extremely important for Russia to win this match. If it wins this match it will have 4 points, 1 of which it got from the match against Korea Republic. It will leave the option open for Russia to finish on top of the table. However, if it loses this match, it can only finish with maximum 4 points at best (only if it wins against Algeria). That means that Russia, with 4 points, will possibly finish second. That means Russia will have to face the mighty Germans in the next round, which look strong enough to finish first in Group G. Russia was denied victory by Korea Republic. It did not perform as well as it was expected to. In fact, Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev made a blunder when the ball slipped off his gloves and ended up in the net.
Head to Head
These two teams played 8 times against each other before. Belgium won 3 times, Russia 4 and 1 ended in a draw. There were 22 goals scored. Russia scored 12 of those, Belgium 10.
Belgium: Romelu Lukaku, Marouane Fellaini and Dries Mertens
Russia: Alexander Kerzhakov, Aleksandr Kokorin and Igor Akinfeev
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 22, which means it is 2 am on June 23 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Maracanã - Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho in Rio De Janeiro.
This will be a highly competitive match which will probably decide the top two positions in Group H. Belgium will turn out to be slightly better than its opponent and win it 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’