FIFA World Cup 2014: Cristiano Ronaldo Reportedly Out of Tourney, Portugal in Trouble vs. USA
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 19, 2014 9:33 AM EST
Portugal star striker Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly out for the remainder of the World Cup, as he continues to struggle in staying fit because of a bothering knee injury he sustained in the buildup towards the tournament in Brazil, according to latest rumours in the internet.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo stated his immediate future was definitely at the Santiago Bernabeu
The 29-year old Ronaldo is among the biggest stars in the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Brazil, but dealing with a serious knee injury might be too risky for his long-term career.
According to the Spanish publication El Confidential, renowned Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha is raising a red flag on Ronaldo's injury, as he advised him to pull out of the World Cup or suffer a dire consequence of sustaining an irreparable damage on his bummed knee.
"NBC Sports, citing a story in El Confidential, is reporting that Ronaldo's doctor wants him to pull out of the World Cup due to a knee injury. Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha is advising the Real Madrid star that he could risk tearing the tendon in his knee beyond repair," via TSN Canada.
The Daily Mail UK reported that Ronaldo struggled to be in fine footing during his latest training session, which saw the Portuguese striker limping on the field.
Portugals-World-Cup-goes-bad-worse.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Via Daily Mail UK.
"Ronaldo declared himself '100 per cent' fit on the eve of Portugal's opening 4-0 demolition at the hands of Germany but, although he managed to play the entire game, he was largely peripheral and failed to change the course of the result.
It now appears that the Ballon d'Or winner has suffered a recurrence of his knee problems after receiving treatment during a training session in Campinas.
Ronaldo was taken through a series of stretches before having his left knee bandaged with an ice pack and helped off the field 30minutes before training finished. Ronaldo watched the rest of the session from the sidelines."
If the story holds true, Ronaldo's absence is not only a big blow to the no.4 ranked Portuguese national team but the entire tournament as well, as World Cup organizers bank its marketability on the star player of each participating squad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display