FIFA World Cup 2014: Cristiano Ronaldo Reportedly Out of Tourney, Portugal in Trouble vs. USA
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 19, 2014 9:33 AM EST
Portugal star striker Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly out for the remainder of the World Cup, as he continues to struggle in staying fit because of a bothering knee injury he sustained in the buildup towards the tournament in Brazil, according to latest rumours in the internet.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo stated his immediate future was definitely at the Santiago Bernabeu
The 29-year old Ronaldo is among the biggest stars in the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Brazil, but dealing with a serious knee injury might be too risky for his long-term career.
According to the Spanish publication El Confidential, renowned Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha is raising a red flag on Ronaldo's injury, as he advised him to pull out of the World Cup or suffer a dire consequence of sustaining an irreparable damage on his bummed knee.
"NBC Sports, citing a story in El Confidential, is reporting that Ronaldo's doctor wants him to pull out of the World Cup due to a knee injury. Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha is advising the Real Madrid star that he could risk tearing the tendon in his knee beyond repair," via TSN Canada.
The Daily Mail UK reported that Ronaldo struggled to be in fine footing during his latest training session, which saw the Portuguese striker limping on the field.
Portugals-World-Cup-goes-bad-worse.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Via Daily Mail UK.
"Ronaldo declared himself '100 per cent' fit on the eve of Portugal's opening 4-0 demolition at the hands of Germany but, although he managed to play the entire game, he was largely peripheral and failed to change the course of the result.
It now appears that the Ballon d'Or winner has suffered a recurrence of his knee problems after receiving treatment during a training session in Campinas.
Ronaldo was taken through a series of stretches before having his left knee bandaged with an ice pack and helped off the field 30minutes before training finished. Ronaldo watched the rest of the session from the sidelines."
If the story holds true, Ronaldo's absence is not only a big blow to the no.4 ranked Portuguese national team but the entire tournament as well, as World Cup organizers bank its marketability on the star player of each participating squad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen