FIFA World Cup 2014: Cristiano Ronaldo Reportedly Out of Tourney, Portugal in Trouble vs. USA
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 19, 2014 9:33 AM EST
Portugal star striker Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly out for the remainder of the World Cup, as he continues to struggle in staying fit because of a bothering knee injury he sustained in the buildup towards the tournament in Brazil, according to latest rumours in the internet.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo stated his immediate future was definitely at the Santiago Bernabeu
The 29-year old Ronaldo is among the biggest stars in the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Brazil, but dealing with a serious knee injury might be too risky for his long-term career.
According to the Spanish publication El Confidential, renowned Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha is raising a red flag on Ronaldo's injury, as he advised him to pull out of the World Cup or suffer a dire consequence of sustaining an irreparable damage on his bummed knee.
"NBC Sports, citing a story in El Confidential, is reporting that Ronaldo's doctor wants him to pull out of the World Cup due to a knee injury. Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha is advising the Real Madrid star that he could risk tearing the tendon in his knee beyond repair," via TSN Canada.
The Daily Mail UK reported that Ronaldo struggled to be in fine footing during his latest training session, which saw the Portuguese striker limping on the field.
Portugals-World-Cup-goes-bad-worse.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Via Daily Mail UK.
"Ronaldo declared himself '100 per cent' fit on the eve of Portugal's opening 4-0 demolition at the hands of Germany but, although he managed to play the entire game, he was largely peripheral and failed to change the course of the result.
It now appears that the Ballon d'Or winner has suffered a recurrence of his knee problems after receiving treatment during a training session in Campinas.
Ronaldo was taken through a series of stretches before having his left knee bandaged with an ice pack and helped off the field 30minutes before training finished. Ronaldo watched the rest of the session from the sidelines."
If the story holds true, Ronaldo's absence is not only a big blow to the no.4 ranked Portuguese national team but the entire tournament as well, as World Cup organizers bank its marketability on the star player of each participating squad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools