Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Algieri Bout Looms as New WBO Junior Welterweight Champ Is Willing to Fight in Whatever Weight Class
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 19, 2014 9:20 AM EST
YouTubeBoxer Chris Algieri's recent ring victory of Ruslan Provodnikov is paying off with eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao now considering Algieri as his opponent in the scheduled Nov 7 fight in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, disclosed that there were already discussions with Algieri's camp even before his bout with Provodnikov for the WBO junior welterweight title because Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has not committed yet to a fifth match against Pacquiao, The Epoch Times reports.
Roach, also the trainer of Provodnikov, likewise warned the Russian boxer that had he won over Algieri, he would lose him as trainer and have slim chances of winning against Pacquiao, but Provodnikov replied that he needs big fights and is willing to take that chance.
But chance was on Algieri's side who improved his record to 20-0, 8 KOs after he dealt Provodnikov his second defeat and settled with a 23-2, 16 KOs record.
Algiere, who would be up against a more experienced Pacquiao with a fight record of 56-5-2, 38 KOs, said he is willing to meet the Filipino champion in any weight division. He said, "To be in there with a guy like Manny, definitely a future Hall of Famer, it would be awesome and I think stylistically it could be a good matchup. He's another dangerous guy but I think my style would match up well."
He said he could go at 140 or 147 since making 140 was not a problem. "I'm 30 years old and I'm not going to outgrow the weight class," ringtv.com quoted Algiere who could also take advantage of his height advantage. He stands at 5' 10", while Pacquiao is 5' 6".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery