Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Algieri Bout Looms as New WBO Junior Welterweight Champ Is Willing to Fight in Whatever Weight Class
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 19, 2014 9:20 AM EST
YouTubeBoxer Chris Algieri's recent ring victory of Ruslan Provodnikov is paying off with eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao now considering Algieri as his opponent in the scheduled Nov 7 fight in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, disclosed that there were already discussions with Algieri's camp even before his bout with Provodnikov for the WBO junior welterweight title because Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has not committed yet to a fifth match against Pacquiao, The Epoch Times reports.
Roach, also the trainer of Provodnikov, likewise warned the Russian boxer that had he won over Algieri, he would lose him as trainer and have slim chances of winning against Pacquiao, but Provodnikov replied that he needs big fights and is willing to take that chance.
But chance was on Algieri's side who improved his record to 20-0, 8 KOs after he dealt Provodnikov his second defeat and settled with a 23-2, 16 KOs record.
Algiere, who would be up against a more experienced Pacquiao with a fight record of 56-5-2, 38 KOs, said he is willing to meet the Filipino champion in any weight division. He said, "To be in there with a guy like Manny, definitely a future Hall of Famer, it would be awesome and I think stylistically it could be a good matchup. He's another dangerous guy but I think my style would match up well."
He said he could go at 140 or 147 since making 140 was not a problem. "I'm 30 years old and I'm not going to outgrow the weight class," ringtv.com quoted Algiere who could also take advantage of his height advantage. He stands at 5' 10", while Pacquiao is 5' 6".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28