Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Algieri Bout Looms as New WBO Junior Welterweight Champ Is Willing to Fight in Whatever Weight Class
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 19, 2014 9:20 AM EST
YouTubeBoxer Chris Algieri's recent ring victory of Ruslan Provodnikov is paying off with eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao now considering Algieri as his opponent in the scheduled Nov 7 fight in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, disclosed that there were already discussions with Algieri's camp even before his bout with Provodnikov for the WBO junior welterweight title because Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has not committed yet to a fifth match against Pacquiao, The Epoch Times reports.
Roach, also the trainer of Provodnikov, likewise warned the Russian boxer that had he won over Algieri, he would lose him as trainer and have slim chances of winning against Pacquiao, but Provodnikov replied that he needs big fights and is willing to take that chance.
But chance was on Algieri's side who improved his record to 20-0, 8 KOs after he dealt Provodnikov his second defeat and settled with a 23-2, 16 KOs record.
Algiere, who would be up against a more experienced Pacquiao with a fight record of 56-5-2, 38 KOs, said he is willing to meet the Filipino champion in any weight division. He said, "To be in there with a guy like Manny, definitely a future Hall of Famer, it would be awesome and I think stylistically it could be a good matchup. He's another dangerous guy but I think my style would match up well."
He said he could go at 140 or 147 since making 140 was not a problem. "I'm 30 years old and I'm not going to outgrow the weight class," ringtv.com quoted Algiere who could also take advantage of his height advantage. He stands at 5' 10", while Pacquiao is 5' 6".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales