Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Algieri Bout Looms as New WBO Junior Welterweight Champ Is Willing to Fight in Whatever Weight Class
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 19, 2014 9:20 AM EST
YouTubeBoxer Chris Algieri's recent ring victory of Ruslan Provodnikov is paying off with eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao now considering Algieri as his opponent in the scheduled Nov 7 fight in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, disclosed that there were already discussions with Algieri's camp even before his bout with Provodnikov for the WBO junior welterweight title because Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has not committed yet to a fifth match against Pacquiao, The Epoch Times reports.
Roach, also the trainer of Provodnikov, likewise warned the Russian boxer that had he won over Algieri, he would lose him as trainer and have slim chances of winning against Pacquiao, but Provodnikov replied that he needs big fights and is willing to take that chance.
But chance was on Algieri's side who improved his record to 20-0, 8 KOs after he dealt Provodnikov his second defeat and settled with a 23-2, 16 KOs record.
Algiere, who would be up against a more experienced Pacquiao with a fight record of 56-5-2, 38 KOs, said he is willing to meet the Filipino champion in any weight division. He said, "To be in there with a guy like Manny, definitely a future Hall of Famer, it would be awesome and I think stylistically it could be a good matchup. He's another dangerous guy but I think my style would match up well."
He said he could go at 140 or 147 since making 140 was not a problem. "I'm 30 years old and I'm not going to outgrow the weight class," ringtv.com quoted Algiere who could also take advantage of his height advantage. He stands at 5' 10", while Pacquiao is 5' 6".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell