World Cup Live Stream: Australia vs. Netherlands Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 18, 2014 11:10 PM EST
The Netherlands looks to prove their opening match domination wasn’t a fluke when they take on the lowly Australians in a Group B action at the Estadio Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre. The World Cup match kicks off at 1:00 pm local time (2 am in Australia).
Robin van Persie of the Netherlands heads to score against Spain during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13, 2014.
The Oranje’s impressive start in Brazil featured a 5-1 thumping of Spain led by Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben who had 2 goals each.
Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal was quick to downplay the big win.
“We haven't even made it to the next round yet so anything can happen,” said Van Gaal to FIFA.COM. "I felt the team reacted very well, especially the older players. The more seasoned players know what is going on and they immediately warned the team this was simply one victory and that we haven't earned anything.”
Meanwhile, the Socceroos lost 3-1 to Chile in their opening match; worse, they also lost fullback Ivan Franjic to a hamstring injury and won’t play the rest of the tournament.
Australia coach Ange Postecoglou know the challenge ahead and that they need to get all of three points in the next match.
We just have to believe in what we do and tomorrow we will get a chance to find out where we are at," Postecoglou shared in the tournament’s official website. "There's a lot at stake for both teams. For us if we don't get a result it's the end of our tournament."
Australia is a huge underdog to win the match at 9.40 while the Netherlands is at 1.04 to get full three points. In the three-way betting, Australia is at 17.00; Draw at 7.25 and Netherlands at 1.20.
To survive the group, Netherlands is a near shoo-in at 1.01 while Australia ‘s chances is pegged at 61.00.
Curiously, Holland has never won in three friendly matches against the Aussies in their head-to-head history with 1 loss and 2 draws. This is the first meeting between Australia and Netherlands in any World Cup.
Probable Starting 11:
Australia (4-1-3-2): Ryan; MacGowan, Davidson, Spiranovic, Wilkinson; Oar; Milligan, Jedinak, Bresciano; Cahill, Leckie.
Holland (4-4-2): Cillessen; Janmaat, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi; Blind, De Guzman, Sneijder, De Jong; Van Persie, Robben
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them