World Cup Live Stream: Australia vs. Netherlands Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 18, 2014 11:10 PM EST
The Netherlands looks to prove their opening match domination wasn’t a fluke when they take on the lowly Australians in a Group B action at the Estadio Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre. The World Cup match kicks off at 1:00 pm local time (2 am in Australia).
Robin van Persie of the Netherlands heads to score against Spain during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13, 2014.
The Oranje’s impressive start in Brazil featured a 5-1 thumping of Spain led by Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben who had 2 goals each.
Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal was quick to downplay the big win.
“We haven't even made it to the next round yet so anything can happen,” said Van Gaal to FIFA.COM. "I felt the team reacted very well, especially the older players. The more seasoned players know what is going on and they immediately warned the team this was simply one victory and that we haven't earned anything.”
Meanwhile, the Socceroos lost 3-1 to Chile in their opening match; worse, they also lost fullback Ivan Franjic to a hamstring injury and won’t play the rest of the tournament.
Australia coach Ange Postecoglou know the challenge ahead and that they need to get all of three points in the next match.
We just have to believe in what we do and tomorrow we will get a chance to find out where we are at," Postecoglou shared in the tournament’s official website. "There's a lot at stake for both teams. For us if we don't get a result it's the end of our tournament."
Australia is a huge underdog to win the match at 9.40 while the Netherlands is at 1.04 to get full three points. In the three-way betting, Australia is at 17.00; Draw at 7.25 and Netherlands at 1.20.
To survive the group, Netherlands is a near shoo-in at 1.01 while Australia ‘s chances is pegged at 61.00.
Curiously, Holland has never won in three friendly matches against the Aussies in their head-to-head history with 1 loss and 2 draws. This is the first meeting between Australia and Netherlands in any World Cup.
Probable Starting 11:
Australia (4-1-3-2): Ryan; MacGowan, Davidson, Spiranovic, Wilkinson; Oar; Milligan, Jedinak, Bresciano; Cahill, Leckie.
Holland (4-4-2): Cillessen; Janmaat, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi; Blind, De Guzman, Sneijder, De Jong; Van Persie, Robben
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3