World Cup Live Stream: Australia vs. Netherlands Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 18, 2014 11:10 PM EST
The Netherlands looks to prove their opening match domination wasn’t a fluke when they take on the lowly Australians in a Group B action at the Estadio Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre. The World Cup match kicks off at 1:00 pm local time (2 am in Australia).
Robin van Persie of the Netherlands heads to score against Spain during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13, 2014.
The Oranje’s impressive start in Brazil featured a 5-1 thumping of Spain led by Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben who had 2 goals each.
Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal was quick to downplay the big win.
“We haven't even made it to the next round yet so anything can happen,” said Van Gaal to FIFA.COM. "I felt the team reacted very well, especially the older players. The more seasoned players know what is going on and they immediately warned the team this was simply one victory and that we haven't earned anything.”
Meanwhile, the Socceroos lost 3-1 to Chile in their opening match; worse, they also lost fullback Ivan Franjic to a hamstring injury and won’t play the rest of the tournament.
Australia coach Ange Postecoglou know the challenge ahead and that they need to get all of three points in the next match.
We just have to believe in what we do and tomorrow we will get a chance to find out where we are at," Postecoglou shared in the tournament’s official website. "There's a lot at stake for both teams. For us if we don't get a result it's the end of our tournament."
Australia is a huge underdog to win the match at 9.40 while the Netherlands is at 1.04 to get full three points. In the three-way betting, Australia is at 17.00; Draw at 7.25 and Netherlands at 1.20.
To survive the group, Netherlands is a near shoo-in at 1.01 while Australia ‘s chances is pegged at 61.00.
Curiously, Holland has never won in three friendly matches against the Aussies in their head-to-head history with 1 loss and 2 draws. This is the first meeting between Australia and Netherlands in any World Cup.
Probable Starting 11:
Australia (4-1-3-2): Ryan; MacGowan, Davidson, Spiranovic, Wilkinson; Oar; Milligan, Jedinak, Bresciano; Cahill, Leckie.
Holland (4-4-2): Cillessen; Janmaat, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi; Blind, De Guzman, Sneijder, De Jong; Van Persie, Robben
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga