World Cup Live Stream: Australia vs. Netherlands Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 18, 2014 11:10 PM EST
The Netherlands looks to prove their opening match domination wasn’t a fluke when they take on the lowly Australians in a Group B action at the Estadio Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre. The World Cup match kicks off at 1:00 pm local time (2 am in Australia).
Robin van Persie of the Netherlands heads to score against Spain during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13, 2014.
The Oranje’s impressive start in Brazil featured a 5-1 thumping of Spain led by Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben who had 2 goals each.
Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal was quick to downplay the big win.
“We haven't even made it to the next round yet so anything can happen,” said Van Gaal to FIFA.COM. "I felt the team reacted very well, especially the older players. The more seasoned players know what is going on and they immediately warned the team this was simply one victory and that we haven't earned anything.”
Meanwhile, the Socceroos lost 3-1 to Chile in their opening match; worse, they also lost fullback Ivan Franjic to a hamstring injury and won’t play the rest of the tournament.
Australia coach Ange Postecoglou know the challenge ahead and that they need to get all of three points in the next match.
We just have to believe in what we do and tomorrow we will get a chance to find out where we are at," Postecoglou shared in the tournament’s official website. "There's a lot at stake for both teams. For us if we don't get a result it's the end of our tournament."
Australia is a huge underdog to win the match at 9.40 while the Netherlands is at 1.04 to get full three points. In the three-way betting, Australia is at 17.00; Draw at 7.25 and Netherlands at 1.20.
To survive the group, Netherlands is a near shoo-in at 1.01 while Australia ‘s chances is pegged at 61.00.
Curiously, Holland has never won in three friendly matches against the Aussies in their head-to-head history with 1 loss and 2 draws. This is the first meeting between Australia and Netherlands in any World Cup.
Probable Starting 11:
Australia (4-1-3-2): Ryan; MacGowan, Davidson, Spiranovic, Wilkinson; Oar; Milligan, Jedinak, Bresciano; Cahill, Leckie.
Holland (4-4-2): Cillessen; Janmaat, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi; Blind, De Guzman, Sneijder, De Jong; Van Persie, Robben
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu