Cristiano Ronaldo Sends Message to Fans Ahead of Portugal Vs USA Match [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 18, 2014 7:15 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo knows that the hopes of Portugal's fans weigh heavily on his shoulders. The Real Madrid star is leading his countrymen in their World Cup campaign in Brazil and after a crushing 4-0 defeat to Germany in their opening match, morale is low for Portuguese fans but Ronaldo is the first one to try to get everyone back on board by releasing a video of thanks and asking for more support.
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (R) celebrates with team mate Alvaro Morata (L) after scoring a penalty against Atletico Madrid during their Champions League final soccer match at the Luz Stadium in Lisbon May 24, 2014.
Ronaldo had just come off a victorious UEFA Champions League campaign with his club, Real Madrid before heading to Brazil to represent Portugal for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Ronaldo had been nursing a thigh and knee injury weeks before the games due to knocks incurred during rigorous Champions League and La Liga seasons. He was finally declared fit to play for the opening match to the delight of their fans.
Portugal were dealt with even bigger blows as other members of the team were struck down by injury. Defender Fabio Coentrao has now been ruled out for the rest of the Cup. Hugo Almeida suffered a first grade tear in his left hamstring while goalkeeper Rui Patricio also suffered a grade one tear in his thigh.
They will also be missing Pepe who was sent off after foolishly head butting Thomas Mueller. Things are certainly looking bad for Portugal but Ronaldo makes a plea for their fans to continue supporting them. He says that he knows they were disappointed after the first match was lost but he says that it's not over yet and they are coming into the next match with confidence.
Portugal will be going up against the USA on Sunday in Manaus.
Watch the full video here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports