Cortana Vs Alyx Vance As 'Microsoft Voice Assistant'
By Tanya Diente | June 18, 2014 5:53 PM EST
Before Cortana, Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2 was first considered as Microsoft's voice assistant.
A Nokia executive shows the new Lumia 920 phone with Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system at a launch event in New York, September 5, 2012.
According to techradar, Windows Phone 8.1 that features the voice of Cortana as its personal assistant is set to arrive on devices in the UK within weeks. But Microsoft wasn't always certain that Cortana would be the voice assistant.
Marcus Ash, Microsoft's Group program manager, revealed on his Twitter account that the early frontrunner for Microsoft's voice assistant was Alyx Vance.
— Marcus Ash (@marcusash) June 17, 2014
Alyx Vance is the name of Gordon Freeman's close ally in the PC game Half-Life 2. She is portrayed as a young woman in her mid-20s of Afro-Asian descent. According to giantbomb, Alyx Vance is a key player in the resistance against the Combine in Half-Life 2.
Being the initial choice as Microsoft's voice assistant could be attributed to her character in Half-Life 2.
Alyx Vance is a skilled hacker and very talented at bypassing security systems and locked doors. In Half-Life 2, she is skilled at reprogramming enemy equipment like turrets to attack its owners.
Alyx Vance is among the few female videogame characters that convey a wide range of emotions. She is not the typical damsel-in-distress type, nor is she the half-naked warrior commonly seen of female characters in other videogames.
She is a friendly character in Half-Life 2. She is also playful and has a great sense of humor. Despite her many attributes, Microsoft ended up choosing Halo's Cortana as the voice assistant for Windows Phone 8.1.
According to techradar, Microsoft is closely associated with the Halo franchise. That could be the reason it decided to pull out a character from the Halo series instead of using Alyx.
Compared to Alyx Vance's "human" characteristics, Cortana is the total opposite.
In the Halo videogame series, she is the artificially intelligent character who assumes the role of Master Chief Petty Officer John -117, that provides backstory and tactical information to the game player.
Although missing the human-like qualities that comprise Half-Life 2's Alyx Vance, Wikipedia reported Cortana has been recognized in the Halo series by her sex appeal, believability and character depth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight