Apple Health Kit: An Overview of its Health Features
By Afza Fathima | June 18, 2014 4:37 PM EST
With health becoming an important aspect in one's life, on June 2, Apple announced its venture into the Health and Wellness industry. It launched a Health App as well as a cloud platform called HealthKit to share all information of the Health App in iPhones and iPads. In the Mac products, Apple decided to introduce the HealthBook.
Health issues are going from bad to worse and just at the right time, Apple decides to venture into it. With Apple being a popular brand and many people owning iPhones, iPads and Macbooks, and health being a priority for all, Apple expects a lot of users for this App as one can record their medical information as well as receive advice from doctors, says technologyreview.com.
The application will involve collecting the user's information on body metrics like blood pressure, heart rate, statistics on diet, exercise, calories burnt, cholesterol, sleep patterns, weight, lab results, blood alcohol content, body temperature, oxygen saturation, RR interval, and blood sugar to name a few. In case of the user of the application slipping from being healthy, the app sends a notification to the user's doctor.
The Health App will issue an emergency card called Medical ID in which the user feeds in information like medical conditions, medical notes, allergies, reactions and medications. This information can be accessed through the lock screen as well.
Apple has been working with doctors at Mayo Clinic as well as with a huge number of hospitals to gather information on how best can health features be incorporated into the application as well as how this information can be made available to the hospital information system.
Now, one has to wait and watch if this addition to the already wide range of applications in the App Store will lead to a healthier world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown