Apple Health Kit: An Overview of its Health Features
By Afza Fathima | June 18, 2014 4:37 PM EST
With health becoming an important aspect in one's life, on June 2, Apple announced its venture into the Health and Wellness industry. It launched a Health App as well as a cloud platform called HealthKit to share all information of the Health App in iPhones and iPads. In the Mac products, Apple decided to introduce the HealthBook.
Health issues are going from bad to worse and just at the right time, Apple decides to venture into it. With Apple being a popular brand and many people owning iPhones, iPads and Macbooks, and health being a priority for all, Apple expects a lot of users for this App as one can record their medical information as well as receive advice from doctors, says technologyreview.com.
The application will involve collecting the user's information on body metrics like blood pressure, heart rate, statistics on diet, exercise, calories burnt, cholesterol, sleep patterns, weight, lab results, blood alcohol content, body temperature, oxygen saturation, RR interval, and blood sugar to name a few. In case of the user of the application slipping from being healthy, the app sends a notification to the user's doctor.
The Health App will issue an emergency card called Medical ID in which the user feeds in information like medical conditions, medical notes, allergies, reactions and medications. This information can be accessed through the lock screen as well.
Apple has been working with doctors at Mayo Clinic as well as with a huge number of hospitals to gather information on how best can health features be incorporated into the application as well as how this information can be made available to the hospital information system.
Now, one has to wait and watch if this addition to the already wide range of applications in the App Store will lead to a healthier world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- Ebola Czar In US To Work On Bringing Down Anxiety Levels About The Epidemic : Nigeria Cheers As It Becomes Ebola Free
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop