Apple Health Kit: An Overview of its Health Features
By Afza Fathima | June 18, 2014 4:37 PM EST
With health becoming an important aspect in one's life, on June 2, Apple announced its venture into the Health and Wellness industry. It launched a Health App as well as a cloud platform called HealthKit to share all information of the Health App in iPhones and iPads. In the Mac products, Apple decided to introduce the HealthBook.
Health issues are going from bad to worse and just at the right time, Apple decides to venture into it. With Apple being a popular brand and many people owning iPhones, iPads and Macbooks, and health being a priority for all, Apple expects a lot of users for this App as one can record their medical information as well as receive advice from doctors, says technologyreview.com.
The application will involve collecting the user's information on body metrics like blood pressure, heart rate, statistics on diet, exercise, calories burnt, cholesterol, sleep patterns, weight, lab results, blood alcohol content, body temperature, oxygen saturation, RR interval, and blood sugar to name a few. In case of the user of the application slipping from being healthy, the app sends a notification to the user's doctor.
The Health App will issue an emergency card called Medical ID in which the user feeds in information like medical conditions, medical notes, allergies, reactions and medications. This information can be accessed through the lock screen as well.
Apple has been working with doctors at Mayo Clinic as well as with a huge number of hospitals to gather information on how best can health features be incorporated into the application as well as how this information can be made available to the hospital information system.
Now, one has to wait and watch if this addition to the already wide range of applications in the App Store will lead to a healthier world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- New Zealand PM Calls Homeopathic Remedy For Ebola 'Barking Mad'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2