Gina Carano Not Ready To Fight in the UFC; Dana White Insists Negotiations Underway
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 18, 2014 4:22 PM EST
A recent report say that Gina Carano isn't ready to fight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) just yet.
Carano's trainer Laercio Fernandes told MMA Fighting that she may be training and working out but it doesn't mean that she's eager to step into the octagon ring. Fernandes said Carano's plate is full, which is why a career in the UFC is not a top priority for her.
Cast member Gina Carano poses as she arrives for the screening of the movie "Haywire" at the 62nd Berlinale International Film Festival in Berlin February 15, 2012.
"She's doing great," said Fernandes. "She trains well, but she has a lot of things to do, like interviews and movies," he added.
Fernandes said that he's not putting any pressure on Carano. He said that Carano is the only one who can really decide if she wants to fight or not. He said that Carano still hasn't lost her passion for the mixed martial arts sports, which is why she continues to train and not because she's making a comeback. Carano hasn't fought in nearly five years.
Fernandes also played down the rumour about Carano joining the UFC and said that "nothing has been set."
According to Fernandes, Carano still got what it takes to compete in professional MMA, even in jiu-jitsu or Muay Thai. She only need to stay "focused," and setup a good team. Fernandes further stated that the topic of a UFC career was never brought up in his conversations with Carano. "The only thing I told her was, 'If you don't want to get in the UFC, no problem, we'll continue training.'"
Meanwhile, UFC president Dana White continues to avow that the UFC management is having discussions with Carano and her legal team, MMAmania reported. White is still creeping to reach a deal with Carano.
"Her lawyers and our lawyers are talking," said White during the UFC 174 media scrum. "I mean this guy is a Hollywood lawyer and these guys are always a pain in the ass to deal with," White added.
"The shit that he calls back and says every day is literally comical."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates