NBA News: Chalmers Wants to Stay in Miami
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 18, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Miami Heat starting point guard Mario Chalmers wants another run with the Miami Heat despite a poor showing in the recent NBA Finals.
"I hope we stay together," Chalmers told Yahoo Sports. "I think we have a good thing going."
San Antonio Spurs' Danny Green (C) makes a steal from Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade (R) as Miami's Mario Chalmers defends during the first quarter in Game 3 of their NBA Finals basketball game in Miami, Florida, June 10, 2014.
Chalmers was obviously not referring to the recent best-of-seven championship series where they embarrassingly lost in just 5 games to the San Antonio Spurs.
The 28-year-old point guard who has spent all of his six years in the NBA with the Heat was one of the key players in their back-to-back title runs but completely disappeared in the 2014 NBA Finals.
After averaging 9.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 4.9 assists in 29.8 minutes in the regular season, his numbers dropped gradually from the first round until the finals where he logged just 4.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 23.2 minutes.
“This is one of the toughest challenges I've ever been through,'' Chalmers said before Game 4, where he lost the starting job. Chalmers started 19 of 20 games in the 2014 postseason.
The struggle has come at the worst time for Chalmers, who is in his final year of his contract with the Heat, which will also address the status of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chrish Bosh and their potential pending free agency.
'We still have faith in him, trust in him and we need him,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said in support of his erstwhile starting point guard. ''And he's been able to play through tough times and been able to bounce back. Look, he's not the only guy that's been struggling at some point, and the most important thing is you have an opportunity to help and impact a win in the next game.''
That statement came before the Game 4 loss however and it remains to be seen if Spo and the rest of the Heat brass still have faith and trust in Chalmers going into next season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports