NBA News: Chalmers Wants to Stay in Miami
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 18, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Miami Heat starting point guard Mario Chalmers wants another run with the Miami Heat despite a poor showing in the recent NBA Finals.
"I hope we stay together," Chalmers told Yahoo Sports. "I think we have a good thing going."
San Antonio Spurs' Danny Green (C) makes a steal from Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade (R) as Miami's Mario Chalmers defends during the first quarter in Game 3 of their NBA Finals basketball game in Miami, Florida, June 10, 2014.
Chalmers was obviously not referring to the recent best-of-seven championship series where they embarrassingly lost in just 5 games to the San Antonio Spurs.
The 28-year-old point guard who has spent all of his six years in the NBA with the Heat was one of the key players in their back-to-back title runs but completely disappeared in the 2014 NBA Finals.
After averaging 9.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 4.9 assists in 29.8 minutes in the regular season, his numbers dropped gradually from the first round until the finals where he logged just 4.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 23.2 minutes.
“This is one of the toughest challenges I've ever been through,'' Chalmers said before Game 4, where he lost the starting job. Chalmers started 19 of 20 games in the 2014 postseason.
The struggle has come at the worst time for Chalmers, who is in his final year of his contract with the Heat, which will also address the status of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chrish Bosh and their potential pending free agency.
'We still have faith in him, trust in him and we need him,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said in support of his erstwhile starting point guard. ''And he's been able to play through tough times and been able to bounce back. Look, he's not the only guy that's been struggling at some point, and the most important thing is you have an opportunity to help and impact a win in the next game.''
That statement came before the Game 4 loss however and it remains to be seen if Spo and the rest of the Heat brass still have faith and trust in Chalmers going into next season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares