Sergio Ramos and Vicente Del Bosque Defend Iker Casillas, Team Looking Forward to Spain vs. Chile
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 18, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Defending champions Spain were dealt a heavy blow by 2010 runners-up Netherlands in their opening game for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. The Dutch team were out for revenge and that was just what they did, slaughtering Spain with a 5-1 final score which is mild compared to the many other chances that the Oranje had to score again during the game. Spanish captain Iker Casillas was the first one to raise his hand and admit his part in the team's failure by saying that he was not up to scratch.
Spain's national soccer team head coach Vicente del Bosque (2nd L) smiles next to players Xavi (L), Andres Iniesta (R) and Juan Mata during a training session in preparation for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, at Soccer City sports camp in Las Rozas, near Madrid, May 26, 2014.
Real Madrid teammate and Spanish International defender Sergio Ramos and National team manager Vicente del Bosque were the first ones to defend Casillas but both admit that changes within the team would have to be made.
"As always Casillas has given proof of his captaincy and his commitment to the national team. I remember when I came back to the changing room after the press conference, he was talking to his team-mates, acting as a captain." said Del Bosque.
"I'll live with the critics. I don't go mad with the praise, nor will I be drowned by the criticism. Now we all have to do our bit. The veterans and the young players-we have to accept what happened, but we are a group of champions and we can't blame individuals. Much is expected of us, but now more than ever we are united. We have not been sent home yet." continued Ramos.
La Furia Roja would need to regroup quickly ahead of tonight's match against Chile which they need to win to keep any hopes of keeping their title-defence alive. Spain, having won the last two European Championships and the last World Cup is one of the few teams who did not opt for a youthful new roster but instead picked a majority of players who have a lot of experience in the national team.
"We have brought 16 of our 23 players that are world champions. They have taken part in qualifying and have reached the semi-finals of the Champions League and done well in La Liga. We have brought them because we are convinced that they are the best, even if others may have a different opinion. We do have seven new players." commented Del Bosque about his selection.
The team is fired up and will be looking at the match against Chile as if it were the final. FC Barcelona fullback Jordi Alba feels that the team admit their mistakes and can now move forward and keep fighting.
"It was an accident, we conceded stupid goals but we need to keep going. In the first-half we were superior and in the second-half our level dropped. We are the ones that win or lose and we need to be stronger than ever now. We need to believe we can still qualify for the last 16." said Alba.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones