‘The Little Mermaid’ First Casting Revealed: Androgynous Australian Model Andrej Pejic to Play One of Ariel’s Sister
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 18, 2014 3:34 PM EST
First casting for the highly-anticipated new live action movie "The Little Mermaid" has been recently revealed, naming Australian model Andrej Pejic as the first star confirmed to be part of the cast of Sofia Coppola's adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale.
Model Andrej Pejic presents a creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, as part of his Haute Couture Spring-Summer 2011 fashion show in Paris on January 26, 2011.
Pejic, a 22-year-old Bosnian-born male who says "she" prefers to use female pronouns to reference "her" identity, is an androgynous Australian model known for her gender-bending representation of herself on catwalks, magazine covers and other various channels showcasing the model's beauty.
Aside from modeling, Pejic is also into acting. Daily Mail reported that the Aussie model is set to present her androgynous beauty on the big screens as the sister number four of Ariel, which is the character Emma Watson is being rumoured to play.
In great anticipation of Sofia Coppola's reimagining of "The Little Mermaid," various speculations and rumours have started to spread online on who might be part of the cast. "Noah" star Emma Watson has been rumoured to play the role of Ariel, alongside another rumoured Ariel Anna Kendricks, but there is still no confirmation of who will be billed for the coveted role.
Pejic's casting has brought out various speculations of who the future cast of the Disney remake will be. Coppola's take on the classic fairytale is reportedly expected to be a darker version than the classic and most likely going to be stylish.
Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are set to produce "The Little Mermaid," which is reportedly set for a 2015 movie release.
Andrej Pejic, though listed only as "Sister #4" on IMDb, has been apparently confirmed as part of Coppola's "The Little Mermaid" cast. Before the androgynous model's big screen role, she is said to have appeared in David Bowie's "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)," starred in the short film "Reason," and was cast in the historical TV series titled "Faith."
According to Pejic's biography on models.com, the young Australian model fled from Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina with her family in the 90s to escape the war, eventually settling in Melbourne, Australia.
Pejic succeeds as a model in Australia. In 2011, the model is said to have been named as one of OUT Magazine's "100 Most Compelling People."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’