‘The Little Mermaid’ First Casting Revealed: Androgynous Australian Model Andrej Pejic to Play One of Ariel’s Sister
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 18, 2014 3:34 PM EST
First casting for the highly-anticipated new live action movie "The Little Mermaid" has been recently revealed, naming Australian model Andrej Pejic as the first star confirmed to be part of the cast of Sofia Coppola's adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale.
Model Andrej Pejic presents a creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, as part of his Haute Couture Spring-Summer 2011 fashion show in Paris on January 26, 2011.
Pejic, a 22-year-old Bosnian-born male who says "she" prefers to use female pronouns to reference "her" identity, is an androgynous Australian model known for her gender-bending representation of herself on catwalks, magazine covers and other various channels showcasing the model's beauty.
Aside from modeling, Pejic is also into acting. Daily Mail reported that the Aussie model is set to present her androgynous beauty on the big screens as the sister number four of Ariel, which is the character Emma Watson is being rumoured to play.
In great anticipation of Sofia Coppola's reimagining of "The Little Mermaid," various speculations and rumours have started to spread online on who might be part of the cast. "Noah" star Emma Watson has been rumoured to play the role of Ariel, alongside another rumoured Ariel Anna Kendricks, but there is still no confirmation of who will be billed for the coveted role.
Pejic's casting has brought out various speculations of who the future cast of the Disney remake will be. Coppola's take on the classic fairytale is reportedly expected to be a darker version than the classic and most likely going to be stylish.
Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are set to produce "The Little Mermaid," which is reportedly set for a 2015 movie release.
Andrej Pejic, though listed only as "Sister #4" on IMDb, has been apparently confirmed as part of Coppola's "The Little Mermaid" cast. Before the androgynous model's big screen role, she is said to have appeared in David Bowie's "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)," starred in the short film "Reason," and was cast in the historical TV series titled "Faith."
According to Pejic's biography on models.com, the young Australian model fled from Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina with her family in the 90s to escape the war, eventually settling in Melbourne, Australia.
Pejic succeeds as a model in Australia. In 2011, the model is said to have been named as one of OUT Magazine's "100 Most Compelling People."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga