‘The Little Mermaid’ First Casting Revealed: Androgynous Australian Model Andrej Pejic to Play One of Ariel’s Sister
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 18, 2014 3:34 PM EST
First casting for the highly-anticipated new live action movie "The Little Mermaid" has been recently revealed, naming Australian model Andrej Pejic as the first star confirmed to be part of the cast of Sofia Coppola's adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale.
Model Andrej Pejic presents a creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, as part of his Haute Couture Spring-Summer 2011 fashion show in Paris on January 26, 2011.
Pejic, a 22-year-old Bosnian-born male who says "she" prefers to use female pronouns to reference "her" identity, is an androgynous Australian model known for her gender-bending representation of herself on catwalks, magazine covers and other various channels showcasing the model's beauty.
Aside from modeling, Pejic is also into acting. Daily Mail reported that the Aussie model is set to present her androgynous beauty on the big screens as the sister number four of Ariel, which is the character Emma Watson is being rumoured to play.
In great anticipation of Sofia Coppola's reimagining of "The Little Mermaid," various speculations and rumours have started to spread online on who might be part of the cast. "Noah" star Emma Watson has been rumoured to play the role of Ariel, alongside another rumoured Ariel Anna Kendricks, but there is still no confirmation of who will be billed for the coveted role.
Pejic's casting has brought out various speculations of who the future cast of the Disney remake will be. Coppola's take on the classic fairytale is reportedly expected to be a darker version than the classic and most likely going to be stylish.
Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are set to produce "The Little Mermaid," which is reportedly set for a 2015 movie release.
Andrej Pejic, though listed only as "Sister #4" on IMDb, has been apparently confirmed as part of Coppola's "The Little Mermaid" cast. Before the androgynous model's big screen role, she is said to have appeared in David Bowie's "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)," starred in the short film "Reason," and was cast in the historical TV series titled "Faith."
According to Pejic's biography on models.com, the young Australian model fled from Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina with her family in the 90s to escape the war, eventually settling in Melbourne, Australia.
Pejic succeeds as a model in Australia. In 2011, the model is said to have been named as one of OUT Magazine's "100 Most Compelling People."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build