‘The Little Mermaid’ First Casting Revealed: Androgynous Australian Model Andrej Pejic to Play One of Ariel’s Sister
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 18, 2014 3:34 PM EST
First casting for the highly-anticipated new live action movie "The Little Mermaid" has been recently revealed, naming Australian model Andrej Pejic as the first star confirmed to be part of the cast of Sofia Coppola's adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale.
Model Andrej Pejic presents a creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, as part of his Haute Couture Spring-Summer 2011 fashion show in Paris on January 26, 2011.
Pejic, a 22-year-old Bosnian-born male who says "she" prefers to use female pronouns to reference "her" identity, is an androgynous Australian model known for her gender-bending representation of herself on catwalks, magazine covers and other various channels showcasing the model's beauty.
Aside from modeling, Pejic is also into acting. Daily Mail reported that the Aussie model is set to present her androgynous beauty on the big screens as the sister number four of Ariel, which is the character Emma Watson is being rumoured to play.
In great anticipation of Sofia Coppola's reimagining of "The Little Mermaid," various speculations and rumours have started to spread online on who might be part of the cast. "Noah" star Emma Watson has been rumoured to play the role of Ariel, alongside another rumoured Ariel Anna Kendricks, but there is still no confirmation of who will be billed for the coveted role.
Pejic's casting has brought out various speculations of who the future cast of the Disney remake will be. Coppola's take on the classic fairytale is reportedly expected to be a darker version than the classic and most likely going to be stylish.
Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are set to produce "The Little Mermaid," which is reportedly set for a 2015 movie release.
Andrej Pejic, though listed only as "Sister #4" on IMDb, has been apparently confirmed as part of Coppola's "The Little Mermaid" cast. Before the androgynous model's big screen role, she is said to have appeared in David Bowie's "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)," starred in the short film "Reason," and was cast in the historical TV series titled "Faith."
According to Pejic's biography on models.com, the young Australian model fled from Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina with her family in the 90s to escape the war, eventually settling in Melbourne, Australia.
Pejic succeeds as a model in Australia. In 2011, the model is said to have been named as one of OUT Magazine's "100 Most Compelling People."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1