‘The Little Mermaid’ First Casting Revealed: Androgynous Australian Model Andrej Pejic to Play One of Ariel’s Sister
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 18, 2014 3:34 PM EST
First casting for the highly-anticipated new live action movie "The Little Mermaid" has been recently revealed, naming Australian model Andrej Pejic as the first star confirmed to be part of the cast of Sofia Coppola's adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale.
Model Andrej Pejic presents a creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, as part of his Haute Couture Spring-Summer 2011 fashion show in Paris on January 26, 2011.
Pejic, a 22-year-old Bosnian-born male who says "she" prefers to use female pronouns to reference "her" identity, is an androgynous Australian model known for her gender-bending representation of herself on catwalks, magazine covers and other various channels showcasing the model's beauty.
Aside from modeling, Pejic is also into acting. Daily Mail reported that the Aussie model is set to present her androgynous beauty on the big screens as the sister number four of Ariel, which is the character Emma Watson is being rumoured to play.
In great anticipation of Sofia Coppola's reimagining of "The Little Mermaid," various speculations and rumours have started to spread online on who might be part of the cast. "Noah" star Emma Watson has been rumoured to play the role of Ariel, alongside another rumoured Ariel Anna Kendricks, but there is still no confirmation of who will be billed for the coveted role.
Pejic's casting has brought out various speculations of who the future cast of the Disney remake will be. Coppola's take on the classic fairytale is reportedly expected to be a darker version than the classic and most likely going to be stylish.
Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are set to produce "The Little Mermaid," which is reportedly set for a 2015 movie release.
Andrej Pejic, though listed only as "Sister #4" on IMDb, has been apparently confirmed as part of Coppola's "The Little Mermaid" cast. Before the androgynous model's big screen role, she is said to have appeared in David Bowie's "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)," starred in the short film "Reason," and was cast in the historical TV series titled "Faith."
According to Pejic's biography on models.com, the young Australian model fled from Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina with her family in the 90s to escape the war, eventually settling in Melbourne, Australia.
Pejic succeeds as a model in Australia. In 2011, the model is said to have been named as one of OUT Magazine's "100 Most Compelling People."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown