No Nexus 6 This Year, Android Silver With 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Takes Over
By Ryan Inoyori | June 18, 2014 2:44 PM EST
The next-generation Android version is not 4.5 but 5.0 instead after a screenshot revealed its numerical identity via Google Now. Nexus 6's upcoming replacement Android Silver will be co-developed by LG and for release next year with octa-core 64-bit CPU from Qualcomm.
Android 5.0, Not 4.5
Although Google has not officially announced the next generation of Android OS, a screenshot leaked out revealing that it might be Android 5.0 instead of 4.5. TrustedReviews caught the image and the biggest clue is the clock timed at 5.00. Historically, the Nexus device images that carry a new version of Android always denote the number as its official time in ads. In the official Web site, you can see Nexus 5 image has the official time of 4.40 linking it to Android 4.4 KitKat. But nothing else followed after that image leaked and we may only see the truth behind the mysterious screenshot. Speculations are now revolving that Android 5.0 will carry the dessert name Lollipop and some features from Android KitKat may also appear on the new version.
Google's upcoming project called Android Silver may be featured by LG Electronics in February next year. According to Westside Story, reports hinted the replacement of Nexus line by Android Silver and one of the key partners is LG Electronics. For 2014, Nexus 6 and Nexus 7 have been rumored as the final line up on of the Nexus series which can only be confirmed at the Google I/O event this month. One of the most interesting features of Nexus 6 is the upcoming 64-bit processor made by Qualcomm. Is Nexus 6 really coming out this year?
Nexus 6 Replacement
Contrary to popular rumors, @evleaks claimed there will be no Nexus 6 coming in 2014 and be replaced by Android Silver in 2015. "There is no Nexus 6. Farewell, Nexus. Don't worry, there's a silver lining to this cloud... Android Silver, circa February 2015," a note from Android Police revealing the state of Nexus 6 smartphone. It is definitely sad for those who desire to get the newest Nexus smartphone but @evleaks sent out a tweet referring to its replacement and fans should be patient till next year.
LG handset, running a Qualcomm MSM8994, to be among first Silver devices. Successor to the Nexus 6 initiative, expected on Sprint in the US.
— @evleaks (@evleaks) May 17, 2014
Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon MSM8994 processor boasts eight-cores and supports 64-bit processing architecture which will maximize support of RAM chipsets with more than 3 GB memory capacity that are currently underdevelopment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3