NBA News 2014: Bill Simmons Speculate That LeBron James Could Land in Los Angeles
By James Patrick Quizon | June 18, 2014 2:07 PM EST
Just two days removed from a disappointing ending to their NBA season, LeBron James—and his potential destination in this offseason— has already taken the rumor mill to the ground. Popular sports writer Bill Simmons shared his thoughts on the potential free agency of the NBA’s biggest star.
Jun 15, 2014; San Antonio, TX, USA; A San Antonio Spurs fan holds up a sign of Miami Heat forward LeBron James (not pictured) before game five of the 2014 NBA Finals at AT&T Center.
FYI: it's easy for Clips to make a LeBron run. Trade Deandre + Jamal to teams with cap space (easy), then use 1st rounder to dump Dudley $
— Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) June 18, 2014
Fellow Grantland writer and NBA expert Zach Lowe also had his take on the matter.
“LeBron has kept mum, and ESPN.com’s Brian Windhorst has hinted at the possibility of James taking considerably less money to construct a title contender somewhere,” said Lowe in his latest article.
Miami—after 2 championships and 4 finals appearances—is in dire straits financially speaking. The trio of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh has the choice to opt-out of their current contracts and seek a long-term deal elsewhere. James and Bosh are owed $20.59M and Wade $20.04M if they choose to stay in Florida.
The salary cap is expected to be set at roughly $63M for the 2014-2015 season. While president and general manager Pat Riley can go beyond that cap and pay the luxury tax like they have in the past few years, they have to be more creative in wooing free agents in this offseason to remain top contenders in the East and the league.
Simmons is a known “biased” NBA writer rooting for the Boston Celtics—his hometown team and the Los Angeles Clippers—where he currently resides but his tweet has merits as any NBA team can unload contracts to target a free agent of LeBron’s caliber.
His suggestion of dumping DeAndre Jordan ($11.44M), Jamal Crawford ($5.45M) and Jared Dudley ($4.25M) is a possibility within the NBA trade rules. If the Clippers manage to clear salary they’ll have enough to throw at James if and when he decides to be a free agent by July 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen