787 Delivery Delay Forces Air Canada to Lease Planes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 18, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Air Canada has ran into an expected delay in the delivery of its 251-seater Boeing 787 Dreamliner, forcing the airline to lease planes for three summer routes, including Spain and South America.
Air Canada's Boeing 787 Dreamliner economy section is seen during the unveiling of its brand new international interior product at Pearson International Airport in Toronto May 20, 2014. REUTERS/Aaron Harris (CANADA - Tags: TRANSPORT BUSINESS)
Air Canada has so far only received two of the 37 Dreamliners it had ordered in May. Another is expected but later this summer. Specific affected flight routes include Toronto to Madrid as well as to Bogota, Colombia, and Lima, Peru.
To cope with the demand, the airline firm decided to lease euroAtlantic Airlines 767s instead of Air Canada 767s.
"It is going to be like Russian roulette when passengers show up for their flights this summer," an analyst told the Globe and Mail.
Air Canada said customers who had purchased tickets on these flights but are unhappy about the aircraft change can cancel their reservations. They will receive a full refund.
The airline company had said the purchase of the Dreamliners were essential tools to help the airline turn itself into a consistently profitable company. We have to change what was the status quo," Ben Smith, chief commercial officer, said. "The model we had prior to what we're putting in place today was not working and not sustainable."
The 787s are known to be more fuel-efficient. They can likewise carry more passengers on some routes at a lower cost.
The first two 787s delivered in May will be used to service the daily Toronto-Haneda flights, supposed to start July 1, but now rescheduled to July 15. The third 787 will begin the Toronto-Tel Aviv service on Aug. 6.
Air Canada said in a notice posted on its website that the leased planes from euroAtlantic will fly the three routes between July 1 and Aug. 6.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29