787 Delivery Delay Forces Air Canada to Lease Planes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 18, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Air Canada has ran into an expected delay in the delivery of its 251-seater Boeing 787 Dreamliner, forcing the airline to lease planes for three summer routes, including Spain and South America.
Air Canada's Boeing 787 Dreamliner economy section is seen during the unveiling of its brand new international interior product at Pearson International Airport in Toronto May 20, 2014. REUTERS/Aaron Harris (CANADA - Tags: TRANSPORT BUSINESS)
Air Canada has so far only received two of the 37 Dreamliners it had ordered in May. Another is expected but later this summer. Specific affected flight routes include Toronto to Madrid as well as to Bogota, Colombia, and Lima, Peru.
To cope with the demand, the airline firm decided to lease euroAtlantic Airlines 767s instead of Air Canada 767s.
"It is going to be like Russian roulette when passengers show up for their flights this summer," an analyst told the Globe and Mail.
Air Canada said customers who had purchased tickets on these flights but are unhappy about the aircraft change can cancel their reservations. They will receive a full refund.
The airline company had said the purchase of the Dreamliners were essential tools to help the airline turn itself into a consistently profitable company. We have to change what was the status quo," Ben Smith, chief commercial officer, said. "The model we had prior to what we're putting in place today was not working and not sustainable."
The 787s are known to be more fuel-efficient. They can likewise carry more passengers on some routes at a lower cost.
The first two 787s delivered in May will be used to service the daily Toronto-Haneda flights, supposed to start July 1, but now rescheduled to July 15. The third 787 will begin the Toronto-Tel Aviv service on Aug. 6.
Air Canada said in a notice posted on its website that the leased planes from euroAtlantic will fly the three routes between July 1 and Aug. 6.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine