Twilight Star Kellan Lutz Talks Expendables 3 and Hercules
By Tanya Diente | June 18, 2014 1:34 PM EST
'Twilight' star Kellan Lutz said it was a dream come true to do Renny Harlin's "The Legend of Hercules" and that being with "Expendables 3" is all about respect.
Model/actor Kellan Lutz arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
Kellan Lutz is popularly known for his character as Emmett Cullen, a vampire in the "Twilight" franchise. However he has also played as a young legendary warrior in Renny Harlin's "The Legend of Hercules."
In a phone interview with Collider's Steve Weintraub, Kellan Lutz said it was another dream come true for him to do "The Legend of Hercules."
He recalled that as a child, he would watch this legend and childhood heroes and to actually be portraying Hercules, one of these legendary heroes, was a dream come true.
"Doing Hercules, just acting-wise bring forth that character to the big screen was such a dream," he said.
Kellan Lutz' "The Legend of Hercules" differs with Dwayne Johnson's movie of the same name. According to Screenrant, Kellan Lutz' Hercules is more grounded and angst-ridden while Dwayne Johnson's will be on a grande scale like Marvel's "Thor."
Kellan Lutz' Hercules may have helped paved way for his new movie "Expendables 3" where he plays the character of John Smilee.
In the same interview, Lutz said his character doesn't smile much, as opposed to his surname. Jon Smilee used to work overseas fighting for his country but at some point he started to question his loyalties to his government.
Toward the end of "Expendables 3," Kellan Lutz' character Jon Smilee begins to open up with the help of Barney (Sylvester Stallone) who sees a lot of himself in Smilee.
Kellan Lutz said his character Jon Smilee is an essence of Barney's character back in the day.
"So Smilee is kind of the leader of these young Expendables and he really just keeps them in mind and tries to keep all the guys in line and be that mediator between the two as Barney would be," he said.
Kellan Lutz added that 'Expendables 3" is all about respect, since eventhough everyone started not liking each other they ultimately end up saving each other's lives.
Kellan Lutz joins the cast of "Expendables 3" along with Sylvester Stallone (Barney Ross) and his "Expendables" crew squaring off against Ross' old partner Conrad Stonebanks (Mel Gibson).
"Expendables 3" is a star-studded movie of action stars with the return of Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Terry Crews and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Other action stars added to the cast include Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, Kelsey Grammer and "Star Wars" Han Solo Harrison Ford. Glen Powell, Robert Davi, MMA star Ronda Rousey and welterweight boxing champion Victor Ortiz completes the action-packed theme of "Expendables 3."
In the same interview, Kellan Lutz described co-stars Banderas, Snipes, Schwarzenegger, Statham and Lundgren as "legendary heroes." He recalled being giddy with excitement at being able to shoot guns and do action scenes with them, that he never felt nervous at all and had so much fun instead.
"I was full-on enthusiastic and excited to be shooting guns and blowing stuff up and just playing pretend, playing action hero with all these legendary action heroes," he said.
Kellan Lutz also described Wesley Snipes and Antonio Banderas as being comedic in nature and how Jason Statham is a cool guy off-screen, but in movies he is such a "bad-ass."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance