Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 Inches) vs. Nexus 7 (2013 Model) - Specifications, Features and Price Comparison
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 18, 2014 1:12 PM EST
Samsung launched two variants of its Tab series of tablets in an event organized in New York on June 12, 2014. The new Galaxy Tab S tablets feature 8.4 inches and 10.5 inches display. Both the variants pack killer features and impressive hardware specifications that can give all other high-end tablets a run for their money. Here is a specification, feature and price comparison between the recently launched Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 inches) and the Nexus 7 (2013 Model).
Display, Size and Exterior
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S features an 8.4 inches Super AMOLED display with a superior 2,560 x 1,600 pixel screen resolution. The Nexus 7, on the other hand, comes with a 7 inches IPS LCD display with a relatively lesser 1,920 x 1,200 pixels resolution. In addition, the pixel strength of Galaxy Tab S stands at 359 ppi, while the Nexus 7 comes with 323 ppi of pixel density. With the impressive pixel strength, both the tablets present sharper and vivid images and videos. Nevertheless, the Tab S stands-out because of its killer screen resolution.
The Galaxy Tab S comes with a thickness and weight of 6.6 mm and 298 g respectively. Whereas the Nexus 7 comes with a thickness of 8.65 mm but it weighs the same as the Tab S. Hence the Galaxy Tab S is much thinner than the Nexus 7.
The exterior of the Galaxy Tab S is similar to the flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone with a perforated textured rear. The Nexus 7, on the other hand, comes with matte plastic back and the front panel features a black strip of glass around the display.
Hardware and Software
The non-LTE version of Samsung Galaxy Tab S is powered by a superior octa-core (Exynos 5) processor clocked at (1.9 GHz quad-core and 1.3 GHz quad-core), and it houses a solid 3 GB of RAM. In addition, the LTE version of Galaxy Tab S is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) processor clocked at 2.3 GHz. The Nexus 7, on the other hand, is powered by a relatively inferior quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro) Krait processor clocked at 1.5 GHz and it comes with 2 GB of RAM.
Both the tablets come with 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage capacity. In addition, the Galaxy Tab S supports microSD card for expansion up to 128 GB, while the Nexus 7 doesn't.
The Nexus 7 houses a 5 MP rear-facing camera without flash and a 1.2 MP front-facing camera unit. While the Galaxy Tab S comes with an 8 MP rear-facing camera with LED flash and a 2.1 MP front-facing camera unit.
The Galaxy Tab S houses a whopping 4900 mAh battery unit with Ultra Power Saving mode. The Nexus 7 comes with a relatively inferior 3950 mAh battery unit. In addition, the Nexus 7 has a built-in wireless charging capability.
The Nexus 7 comes in black colour, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Tab S will come in titanium bronze and dazzling white shades.
1. Both the tablets come in LTE and non-LTE (or Wi-Fi only) models.
2. The Galaxy Tab S is a killer tablet for the ones addicted to multi-tasking. In addition, the tablet can be used as a Remote PC.
3. Also, the latest Galaxy Tab S houses fingerprint scanner.
Price and Release Date
The Nexus 7 32 GB (LTE variant) is priced at AU$429.95, while the Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 inches) will be priced at US$399 (roughly translates to AU$424) and the Galaxy Tab S (10.5 inches) variant will be priced at US$499 (roughly translates to AU$531). The Samsung Galaxy Tab S will be released in selected markets starting July, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes